Dissatisfied with the architecture of Bootstrap and Foundation, John Slegers wanted to create an alternative that offered more flexibility and better performance without cutting back on features. [ Citation needed ] He cam up with the name Cascade Framework For His project and released it under the MIT License in March 2013. [ citation needed ] The last steady release is version 1.5. 
Cascade Framework 2 is currently under development and will involve a rewrite of the codebase into the Sass language.  
Cascade Framework 1.x is written in pure CSS. It supports responsive design and all modern browsers as well as IE6 +. For an optimal balance between footprint and flexibility, it implements a design change inspired by SMACCS and OOCSS .
Binpress lists the following key features: 
- Cascade Framework is based on an OOCSS architecture optimized for both performance and flexibility.
- Cascade Framework contains advanced components like “panels”, “tab blocks” and “navigation” components that can be combined in various ways.
- Cascade Framework is agnostic design. You can choose the default theme, create one of your own or just work with your own project. Both typography and color scheme are separated in separate modules to suit that purpose.
- Semantic Grid Technical and a technical presentational grid. Twitter Bootstrap offers only a presentational technical grid.
- With Cascade Framework, you can use any number of columns you want (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,16 and 24 columns are supported) .
- Cascade Framework’s grid uses a special padding element for its gutter, which combined with the media object integration makes the grid both more powerful and easier to use than any other grid system.
- The total CSS code of Cascade Framework is only 9712 bytes and can be further reduced if you do not need all modules. For many projects, you’ll do with Cascade Framework with that’s only 3910 bytes.
- Cascade Framework has a “light” version that’s no more than 2010 bytes in total. IE6, responsive behavior, etc. IE6, IE6, IE6, IE6, IE6, IE6. If you need lightweight as 323 bytes.
- Cascade Framework offers support to IE6 and there are no plans to drop support for older browsers in the near future.
Cascade Framework is open source and available on GitHub .   Developers are encouraged to participate in the project and make their own contributions to the platform.
Crunchify lists Cascade Framework as # 5 in its “Top 5 New and Favorite Responsive Frameworks”.  The first four are respectively Bootstrap, Cardinal, TypePlate and Furrato.
In an article posted on October 24, 2013, CodeGeekz lists it among “12 Fresh and Useful Frameworks”.  Other projects listed are Gumby, Solved by Flexbox, UI Kit, SkelJS, Cardinal, Layers CSS, Grid Forms, Gridism, Maxmert, Rocket CSS and Kube Framework.
Linux portal Linuxlinks lists Cascade Framework as one of the ten “finest open source lightweight frameworks to kick start CSS and HTML projects”.  Other projects listed are Quantum Framework, Pure, Baseline, HTML KickStart, Base, KNACSS, Toast, Motherplate and HTML5 Boilerplate.
Framework Cascade Was Softpedia ‘s Script of the day on September 6, 2013.  Softpedia’s test scripts Catalin Cimpanu  Explains why, selon _him_ Waterfall Framework is not your typical framework: 
The Cascade CSS framework is a unique project these days. Unlike most CSS frameworks that focus on the UI, Cascade focuses on code and cross-browser compliance, which is most CSS frontend developers these days do not care about anymore.
While CSS framework developers have been busy in packing as much UI modules as they can in their frameworks’ core, most of them forgot the main problem with web development, a problem that’s been around since early 2000s: cross-browser compliance.
The Cascade Framework is a great way to get the most out of your browser.
Impossible right? Not impossible, but very possible, as this framework has proven. The biggest difference with Cascade compared to other CSS frameworks is the way it has been organized, making it super easy for developers to not only use, but also maintain the websites they build. All without breaking in older browsers.
Ruby conference, called Arrrrcamp. This article is part of the Ruby Conference. 
As of May 19, 2014, a Cascade Framework-based Drupal website has been added to the sandbox  as a sandbox project.
As of October 29, 2014, Cascade Framework Advanced has been released. This Open Source project integrates Cascade Framework with JQuery UI . 
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework Twitter page
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework Github page
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework – CSS Frameworks compared
- Jump up^ Binpress – Cascade Framework
- Jump up^ Github – Cascade Framework
- Jump up^ Github – Cascade Framework Light
- Jump up^ Crunchify – Top 5 New and Favorite Responsive Frameworks
- Jump up^ CodeGeekz – Fresh and Useful CSS Frameworks for Developers
- Jump up^ Linuxlinks – Lightweight Frameworks to Kick Start HTML / CSS Projects
- ^ Jump to:A b Softpedia – Script of the day, September 6th, 2013
- Jump up^ LinkedIn – Catalin Cimpanu
- Jump up^ Arrrrcamp – announcing the winners of our pull request contestArchivedNovember 6, 2013, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Drupal theme
- Jump up^ Cascade Framework Advanced