Archon is an open source platform created by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign which is designed to allow archivalrepositories to more easily create and publish aids to their collections. It was created in response to a lack of easy methods for archivists to publish find aids online. While the archival community had encountered such encounters , it was difficult for the profession.  
The Project Staff at Archon is an Assistant Archivist and Associate Professor of Library Administration – Chris Prom, Director and Archivist – Scott Schwartz, Lead Developers – Paul Sorensen and Chris Rishel and Developers – Kyle Fox and Mamta Singh. 
In 2008, Archon was honored with the Andrew Mellon Foundation Award for Technology Collaboration. 
Beginning in 2009, Archon and Archivists’ Toolkit (a similar tool).  This new software, ArchivesSpace , Was Developed in 2012-2013 and Had a 1.0 release in September 2013.  As of January 2014, Archon est devenu unsupported software and the Project Was merged with ArchivesSpace. 
As of March 2017, Archon continues to have an active user base. PHP for existing users. PHP for existing users. 
- Jump up^ Prom, Christopher; Christopher A. Rishel; Scott W. Schwartz; Kyle J. Fox (2007). “A unified platform for archival description and access” . Proceedings of the 7th ACM / IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries. Doi : 10.1145 / 1255175.1255205 . Retrieved 1 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ Yaco, Sonia (2008). “It’s Complicated: Barriers to EAD Implementation” (PDF) . American Archivist . 71 (2): 456-475 . Retrieved 1 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Archon: The Simple Archival Information System” . Www.archon.org . Retrieved 2016-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Library Archivists Receive Award” . Www.library.illinois.edu . Retrieved 2016-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “UC San Diego Libraries and Partners Developing Next-Generation Archive Management System with Grant From The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation” . UC San Diego. Archived from the original on 21 April 2012 . Retrieved 18 May 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Program Timeline” . ArchivesSpace . Retrieved 7 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Archon ™ The Simple Archival Information System” . Retrieved 5 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “LibraryHost offers Archon services” . LibraryHost . Retrieved 2 March 2017 .