AppDynamics is a privately held application performance management (APM) and IT Operations Analytics (ITOA) company based in San Francisco . The company focuses on managing the performance and availability of applications across the cloud computing environments. 
In 2017, Cisco announced its intent to acquire AppDynamics for $ 3.7 billion. 
On March 22, 2017, Cisco completed the acquisition of AppDynamics Inc. AppDynamics will continue to be led by David Wadhwani as a new business unit in Cisco IoT and Application business. David will be reporting to Rowan Trollope. 
History and Founding
AppDynamics was founded in 2008 by Jyoti Bansal, a leading software architect at Wily Technologies , a provider of application performance management technology.  AppDynamics received five rounds of funding totaling $ 206.5 Million. 
In 2016, AppDynamics was ranked # 9 on the Forbes Cloud 100 list. 
On January 24, 2017 Cisco announced their intention to acquire AppDynamics for $ 3.7 billion just days before it was set to IPO. 
On April 10, 2013, CA Technologies (formerly Computer Associates) filed a lawsuit in the US District Court for the Eastern District in New York. The lawsuit claims that AppDynamics violated three patents that came into CA Technologies’ possession through acquisitions.  This was the second action CA Technologies in the acquisition of Wily Technology. In November 2012, CA Technologies filed a lawsuit asserting patent infringement of the same three APM patents against software company, New Relic. On April 20, 2015 AppDynamics and CA settled the two-year-old patent dispute. AppDynamics said that it paid a “modest fixed payment.” 
On February 2, 2015, Jonah Kowall, Research Vice President in Gartner’s IT Operations Research group and lead in appraising Application Performance Management vendors in the Gartner APM Magic Quadrant has positioned market leadership position within AppDynamics.   Later on February 17, 2015, AppDynamics hired a second APM industry analyst John Rakowski of Forrester Research also into a marketing role. 
- Jump up^ “Gartner Market Share Analysis: Performance Monitoring, Worldwide, 2015” .
- Jump up^ MacVittie, Lori. (March 31, 2010)”AppDynamics Puts the Management in Application Performance Management.” Two Different SocksRetrieved September 7, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Cisco to buy AppDynamics for $ 3.7 billion in growth push” . Msn.com . Retrieved January 26, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Acquisitions” . =
- Jump up^ Demery, Paul. (February 26, 2010). “Priceline Finds a Way to Monitor its Wide World of Applications.” InternetRetailer. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- Jump up^ Harzog, Bernd. (May 4, 2010). “AppDynamics Raises an $ 11 Million Series B Round – Confirms APM 2.0 Opportunity.” The Virtualization Practice. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Forbes Cloud 100” . Forbes . Retrieved 29 October 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Cisco Announces Intent to Acquire AppDynamics” . Cisco . Retrieved January 24, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Smythe, Christie. “CA Technologies Sues AppDynamics Over IT Patents” .
- Jump up^ Dulaney, Chelsey (20 April 2015). “AppDynamics, CA Inc. Settle Two-Year-Old Patent Dispute” . Retrieved January 26, 2017 – via Wall Street Journal.
- Jump up^ Kowall, Jonah. “Farewell … for now” .
- Jump up^ Kowall, Jonah. “Why I Joined AppDynamics” .
- Jump up^ APMDigest. “John Rakowski Joins AppDynamics in Strategic Product Marketing Role” .