WikiProfessional (Wiki for Professionals) is a web-based research environment for semantic searching , providing an intuitive tool for analyzing and relating concepts.    
When data is entered, the system semantically analyzes and recognizes co-occurrences between different entities. The results are visualized through a knowledge , which is a visual representation of semantic distance between associated entities. This knowledge is used to notify persons who have subscribed to these entities, enabling a rapid data interchange between collaborators.
The current focus is proteins using WikiProteins  as knowledge portal. It contains over 100 million entries, “melding some of the key biomedical databases into a single information resource.”
- 245,000 Proteins from UniProt / Swiss-Prot
- 24,000 Gene Ontology terms from the GO Consortium
- 880,000 Concepts from UMLS / NLM
- 112,000,000 Unique sentences from Medline
The project, which is nearing the open beta test phase, is operated by Knewco and led by initiator Barend Mons , a bioinformatician at the Erasmus MC and Leiden University Medical Center . Knewco intends to profit from WikiProfessionals by charging some users for such premium services, for example incorporating a private version of the system with in-house data.
- Jump up^ Jim Giles (2007-02-15). “Key biology databases go wiki” . Nature . 445 : 691. doi : 10.1038 / 445691a . Retrieved 2007-11-12 .
- Jump up^ John Timmer (2007-02-15). “Meet the uber-wiki” . Ars technica . Retrieved 2007-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Bertalan Meskó (2007-04-06). “Web 3.0 and medicine” . Retrieved 2007-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Bertalan Meskó (2007-09-05). “WikiProfessional Alpha Testing: a wiki of web 3.0” . Retrieved 2007-11-12 .
- Jump up^ http://proteins.wikiprofessional.org/WikiProteins