Songza was a free streaming and recommendation service for Internet users in the United States and Canada.
Stating that its playlists are made by music experts, the service would recommend its users on various playlists based on time of day and mood or activity.   Songza offered playlists for activities such as waking up, working out, commuting, concentrating, unwinding, entertaining, and sleeping.  Users would vote up or down, and the service will adapt to the user’s personal music preferences.  Users would find playlists not just based on artists, songs, or genres, but also based on themes, interests, and eras, such as ” 90s One-Hit Wonders “, or “Music of Fashion Week “. 
Songza was headquartered in the Long Island City neighborhood of the Queens Borough of New York City , New York . 
On December 2, 2015, Google announced Songza would merge into Google Play Music on January 31, 2016. As of February 1st 2016, the main site is offline, displaying a redirect to Google Play Music.
Amie Street acquired Songza, a product created by Aza Raskin and Scott Robbin, in October 2008.  In August 2010, Amie Street was sold to Amazon for an undisclosed amount.  Shortly after this co-founders – CEO Elias Roman, COO Peter Asbill, CPO Elliott Breece and CCO Eric Davich – refocused their efforts on Songza.  The team discontinued the original version and relaunched a new alpha version of Songza, keeping nothing of the original product but the name. 
Over the next year the founders experimented with various iterations, when the app originally launched in 2010 “it was like a pre-Turntable.fm. A function called Social Radio allowed users to be DJs for their friends” stated PandoDaily.  This version of the app allows it to be social and crowdsourced; The problem with it was that the service was not sufficiently differentiated from other services on the market and the quality of the crowd sourced playlists was low.  After a year of testing various iterations of the alpha version of the app, Songza relaunched in beta on iPhone and Android apps on September 13, 2011, armed with a team of 25 expert music curators.    
In March 2012, Songza released its Music Concierge feature, on iPhone and the web.   The concierge presented users with up to six situations based on time of day, with filters for whatever mood they might be in. For example, “Waking Up”, “Singing in the Shower”, “Working Out” and so on. This feature was rolled out to iPad on June 7, 2012; During the first ten days following the iPad app launch, Songza saw over 1.15 million downloads. 
On June 12, 2012, Songz was listed as the top free app on iTunes for the iPad and the number two free app for the iPhone.  Concierge Was released on Android on July 10, 2012 and for Android tablets on August 14, 2012.   The app expanded to Canada on August 7, 2012 and est devenu the number-one overall free app In Canada on August 13, 2012.   Microsoft’s Build developer event in June 2013, Songza snuck in its official Windows 8 App. 
Songza launched in Canada on August 7, 2012, and reached the one million download mark after 70 days.  
Starting October 2013, Songza began inserting pop-up audio / video ads when initiating a playlist “audio-ad free”. Songza reported having 5.5 million regular users at the end of 2013. 
Songza was acquired by Google on July 1, 2014.  No terms were disclosed but speculation put the price at somewhere between $ 15 million and $ 39 million. Both companies issued statements saying they were “thrilled” to be doing the deal.  In October 2014, following the acquisition, the Google Play Music All Access service was updated to include functionality adapted from Songza’s Concierge system. 
Songza was merged into Google Play Music on January 31, 2016 and as of February 1st 2016, the main site is offline, displaying a redirect to Google Play Music.
- Jump up^ “Songza.com Site Info” . Songza Media, Inc. . Retrieved August 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Songza.com Site Info” . Alexa Internet . Retrieved December 14, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Sisaro, Ben (June 20, 2012). “Pandora Faces Rivals for Ears and Ads” . The New York Times . Retrieved June 20, 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Griffith, Erin. “Songza’s Founders Realized They Were Not Thinking Radically Enough – Here’s How They Changed That” . PandoDaily . Retrieved August 15, 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Tsukayama, Hayley (June 25, 2012). “TechBits: Songza adapts the music to your mood” . The Washington Post . Retrieved June 23, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “About Us” . Songza . Retrieved March 25, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Trapasso, Clare. “Songza music service streams for success” . Daily News . Retrieved July 27, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Nicole, Kristen. “Interview with Amie Street: Why Keep Acquisition of Songza a Secret?”. Bub.blicio.us . Retrieved March 25, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Arrington, Michael. “Amazon Acquires Amie Street, But Not in a Good Way” . TechCrunch . Retrieved September 8, 2010 .
- Jump up^ del Castillo, Michael. “Downtime: The birth of Songza” . Upstart Business Journal . Retrieved June 15, 2012 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Empson, Rip. “Songza Raises Seven Figure Round, Mobile Launches, Sharable Music Collections in the Cloud” . TechCrunch . Retrieved September 13, 2011 . Cite error: Invalid tag; Name “TechCrunch” defined multiple times with different content (see the help page ).
- Jump up^ “Songza launches iPhone and Android apps to digitize the mix tape”.
- Jump up^ Mlot, Stephanie. “Songza Hits 1.15 Million iOS Downloads in 10 Days” . PC Magazine . Retrieved June 18, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Peoples, Glenn. “Songza Reaches One Million iOs Downloads in Ten Days, But Is It The Next Big Thing?” . Billboard.biz . Retrieved June 19, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Kameka, Andrew. “Songza re-ups with expert Music Concierge playlists, lockscreen controls, and new Holo-like design” . Androinica.com . Retrieved July 10, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Mlot, Stephanie. “Songza App Now Available on Android Tablets” . PC Magazine . Retrieved August 14, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Ram, Anand. “Songza’s Elias Roman wants to provide music for every mood” . O.canada.com . Retrieved August 7, 2012 .
- Jump up^ . WP Central. June 27, 2013.
- Jump up^ Dobby, Christine (August 23, 2012). “Songza startup singing a Canadian tune”. Financial Post . August 23, 2012.
- Jump up^ Crook, Jordan (October 18, 2012). “Songza’s Canada Launch Nabs 1 Million New Users in 70 Days”. TechCrunch.
- Jump up^ Sisario, Ben (July 1, 2014). “Google in Deal for Songza, a Music Playlist Service” . New York Times .
- Jump up^ “Google Buys Songza” . TechCrunch . Retrieved July 1, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Google acquires music app start-up Songza” . Business Sun . Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Google brings Songza’s best feature to Play Music” . The Verge . Retrieved 21 October 2014 .