Rara Was a music streaming services operated entre That December 2011 and March 2015. It offert ad -free, on-demand music streaming from a ranks of major and independent labels record, Including Universal Music Group , Sony Music Entertainment , EMI Music and Warner Music Group , global rights agency Merlin and independent digital distributors The Orchard , INgrooves Fontana , Believe Digital, [PIAS] and VidZone Digital Media . 
Launched in December 2011  by British company Rara Media Group Limited, the service featured an initial music catalog of approximately 10 million tracks.  As of October 2013, the catalog offered 22 million tracks and was available in 32 countries.  The system was accessible on both PC and Mac via the web with apps for Windows 8, iOS, and Android.  A rara “web” subscription provided unlimited music streaming via PC and Mac while a “premium” subscription enabled access to rara mobile apps. 
In between February and March 2015, rara stopped accepting new subscribers and announced that the service was up for sale.    Music streaming stopped on March 29.
Rara had a catalog of over 22 million tracks licensed.  It provided unlimited on-demand music streaming. Web users could create playlists which were synchronized through the cloud with their other rara devices. Rara used a team to curate channels and playlists, categorized by mood, genre, era and currently trending.   rara created personalized music recommendations that were both algorithmically generated and handled by rara’s team. Powered by Dolby Pulse, rara streamed audio on web and via apps at a bitrate of 320 kbit / s.
Rara was available on web via PC and Mac and also via apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android and Windows 8 PCs and tablets. The rara web streaming service was launched on 13 December 2011.  The rara Windows 8 app was introduced on 23 October 2012.  It was the first on-demand music streaming app to launch on Windows 8 from Microsoft’s own Xbox Music service which was bundled with all Windows 8 devices. The rara iPhone app was launched on 13 December 2011. [ 13] The rara iPad was launched on 23 October 2012. [13 ]
BMW ConnectedDrive Online Entertainment was first announced by BMW on 19 May 2013 for BMW 5 Series 2013 facelift models. The first compatible vehicle with Online Entertainment has become available to drive from late July 2013. On December 6, 2013 BMW Series 1-7, the M series and the X5 model.
Rara was available in 32 countries: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Portugal, Poland, Hungary, , Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia and South Africa. Rara individually tailors its music service for every territory, with local language support and a localized music for each country.
Rena was partnered with HP ,  BMW , Toshiba and Lenovo and was preloaded onto a range of HP PCs  and Lenovo Windows 8 and Android PCs, tablets and Windows 8 convertible devices. 
Located in London , England , rara Was spun out of digital music services provider Omnifone prior to launch in December 2011. The service was run by the parent company rara Media Group Limited icts with back-end technology platform powered by Omnifone. 
The rara.com web streaming service and rara Android mobile app was launched on 13 December 2011 in 16 countries  across the US, UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, Belgium Denmark Finland Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, with 10 million tracks from all major labels  and a global partnership with HP.  On 14 December 2011 rara announced its launch in New Zealand.   On 20 January 2012 rara announced its launch in Australia, Canada and Singapore. 
On 31 January 2012 PRS for Music announced a pan-European licensing deal securing royalties from rara for the songwriters, composers and music publishers it represented across Europe.  
On 18 July 2012 rara appointed Coca-Cola executive Nick Massey as CEO. 
Merlin, The Orchard, INGrooves Fontana , Believe Digital, VidZone Digital Media and an expanded global licensed catalog to 18 million tracks. Rara.com also announced it had added 7 new countries; Brazil, Mexico, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, South Africa and Portugal, increasing rara.com’s territory reach to 27 markets. 
On December 20, 2012, a new license was announced for the Eastern European countries. Poland , Hungary , Czech Republic , Lithuania , Latvia , Estonia , expanding its international territory to 33 countries worldwide. 
On 8 March 2013 rara announced Omnifone and PRS for Music executive Jez Bell as CEO. 
On 21 May 2013 rara announced an international partnership with BMW to provide Europe’s first in-car music streaming service.  On 11 October 2013 rara annoncé a partnership with Toshiba to pre-load the app is rara Toshiba Windows 8 PCs, tablets and convertible devices in Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong.  On 6 December 2013 rara expanded Europe’s first in-car music streaming service across the BMW range. Rara was available in BMW Series 1-7, the M Series and the X5. 
In early 2015, rara announced that the company was for sale and would shut down if a buyer was not found.   Unlimited music streaming and premium shut down on March 29 in all 32 countries. In June to October, the official homepage still ran without the “sign up”, “prices” or “social network” options. However, the page still had the “email” and “sign in” options. The website was finally shut down in November.
- Radio portal
- Software portal
- List of online music databases
- List of Internet radio stations
- Jump up^ Rara launches: Spotify music-streaming rival for mass-market appeal. Music Week 13 December 2011
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d rara partners with Toshiba . Music Week 11 October 2013
- Jump up^ “rara.com Site Info” . Alexa Internet . Retrieved 5 Dec 2015 .
- Jump up^ Music service Rara faces challenge to turn free to $ 0.99. Paid Content 23 October 2012
- ^ Jump up to:a b Music service Rara.com aims for digital non-adopters . BBC News 13 December 2011
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Rara.com ‘will take on iTunes and Spotify’ music services . Daily Telegraph 13 December 2011
- Jump up^ Rara.com expands to iOS, Windows 8 and more countries. Engadget 24 October 2012
- ^ Jump up to:a b Australian music-streaming services compared . CNET 30 October 2012
- ^ Jump up to:a b Rara will be shut or sold as ceo Jez Bell exits Music Business Worldwide on March 13, 2015
- ^ Jump up to:a b Rara up for sale CMU “Complete Music Update” on February 16, 2015
- Jump up^ Omnifone ceo sees brighter future falling revenues and loss of big customersMusic 🙂 ally on February 13, 2015
- Jump up^ Can rara.com Fight Spotify For Streaming Music Supremacy?. Lifehacker 23 October 2012
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e Rara.com Turns Up The Volume On Its Music Streaming: Launches Windows 8, iOS Apps; Inks Lenovo Deal; Now In 27 Markets . TechCrunch 23 October 2012
- Jump up^ Rara.com to bring music streaming ‘to the masses’. Tech Radar 13 December 2011
- Jump up^ Rara.com Aims at Spotify’s Throat With Ad-Free Streaming Music For 99p a Month. Gismodo 13 December 2011
- Jump up^ Omnifone, Powers Music For Sony, BlackBerry, Rara.com, Turns Profit. Billboard 11 September 2012
- Jump up^ “New Music Service Rara.com Faces Big Obstacles” .
- Jump up^ Siobhan Keogh (14 February 2016). “Streaming music service launches in NZ” . PC World New Zealand .
- Jump up^ Global Digital Music Service rara.com Launches Across New Zealand 14 December 2011
- Jump up^ “Rdio, Rara Launch Subscription Streaming In Australia” . Billboard . 20 January 2012.
- Jump up^ Rara.com signs licensing deal with PRS for Music. Telecom Paper 31 january 2012
- Jump up^ PRS For Music And Rara.com Sign Licensing Deal. Music Industry News Network 5 February 2012
- Jump up^ Rara.com appoints form Coca Cola exec Nick Massey as CEO. Music Week 18 July 2012
- Jump up^ Rara licenses PIAS digital catalog, expands to 33 countries. Music Week 20 December 2012
- Jump up^ Rara to capitalize on footprint with “strong and local” music policy. MusicAlly blog 8 March 2013
- Jump up^ rara with BMW launches European in-car streaming services. Billboard 22 May 2013
- Jump up^ The Drum 6 December 2013