Heinrich Magnus Manske (born 24 May 1974) is a senior scientist at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute in Cambridge , UK      and a software developer of one of the first versions of The MediaWiki software. 
Early life and education
Manske was born in Cologne , Germany.
Manske studied biochemistry at the University of Cologne and graduated in 2006 with a PhD; His dissertation was an open source tool for molecular biology called GENtle .  
As a student Manske was one of the first contributors to the Internet encyclopedia Nupedia , the precursor to Wikipedia , and later wrote one of the first versions of the MediaWiki software that Wikipedia runs on.  Manske HAS Worked in Cambridge with the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute since April 2007,      goal remains active in the development of tools for Wikipedia  and Its sister projects Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons . 
In 2012 Manske Was co-author of a paper published in Nature That Demonstrated new ways to Identify areas Where malaria parasites are Evolving, and Techniques Described for mapping malarial drug resistance. The researchers developed a technique to extract the malaria parasite DNA directly from the blood, which minimizes errors in sequencing.  
Development of MediaWiki
As a student, Manske was one of the most active contributors to the Nupedia project,  submitting content on biology topics  and developing tools and extensions for Nupedia.  Later, unhappy with the existing software limitations,  Manske developed one of the first versions of what later became MediaWiki .   His new version of the software was installed in 2002. 
The wiki software That Was INITIALLY used for Wikipedia Was called Expired UseModWiki and Was Written in Perl . [Edit] References  References  Noun Wikipedia  Noun Wikipedia has an article on Wiktionary, the free dictionary Jump to: navigation, search  On 25 January 2002, Manske released the first version of a MySQL -based PHP wiki engine, called Phase II .  One innovation implemented by Manske in Phase II was the use of namespaces in order to separate different types of pages, such as “Talk” or “User” namespace, What is the difference between the two?  Phase II also introduces a number of other features, including file upload, watchlists, automatic signatures, and user contributions list.   Manske’s re-write also made it easier to integrate photographs in Wikipedia articles, and created a new user group: administrators empowered to delete pages and block vandals.   S re-write also made it easier to integrate photographs in Wikipedia articles, and created a new user group: administrators empowered to delete pages and block vandals.   S re-write also made it easier to integrate photographs in Wikipedia articles, and created a new user group: administrators empowered to delete pages and block vandals.  
Manske was an adherent of open source and specifically the GPL license, and his work on the early versions of MediaWiki was released under the GPL license. 
Manske’s Phase II software encountered loads as Wikipedia continued to grow, so Lee Daniel Crocker did another re-write, which led to phase III, which was used from June 2002 and from 2003 onwards was called “MediaWiki”.  The resulting MediaWiki software is now used as the core platform for Both Wikipedia And Many Wikimedia sister projects, as well as in Many organisms and institutions.
Manske continued to develop tools and extensions for MediaWiki, including tools to map category, compute category intersections, and import images from Flickr to Commons .   Manske also developed the Cite extension which introduced an XML-like syntax to citation management. 
   Manske is known as the creator of the first article in the German Wikipedia, which was on the polymerase chain reaction ,
Jimmy Wales in 2002 named 25 January as Magnus Manske in his contributions to Wikipedia, proclaiming that “Tonight at dinner, every Wikipedian should say to toast to Magnus and his many inventions.”  Larry Sanger , in his memoir on the early history of Wikipedia, highlighted the contributions of Manske to the project and attributes the eventual success of a major group of actors, with Manske playing an important role:
Wikipedia started with a handful of people, many from Nupedia. The influence of Nupedians was crucial early on. I think, especially, of the tireless Magnus Manske, our resident stickler Ruth Ifcher, and the very smart poker-playing programmer Lee Daniel Crocker-to name a few … Still, because The Nupedian roots of the project helped to develop a robust, functional and successful community. 
Manske, along with others, was recognized as a major contributor to MediaWiki by the USENIX Advanced Computing Technical Association in 2010, when MediaWiki and the Wikimedia Foundation were honored with a STUG award. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b Magnus Manske’s publications indexed by Google Scholar
- ^ Jump up to:a b Magnus Manske (2006). GENtle, a free multi-purpose molecular biology tool (PhD thesis). University of Cologne . Retrieved 27 March 2016 .
- Jump up^ Magnus ManskeatDBLPBibliography Server
- Jump up^ List of publicationsfromMicrosoft Academic Search
- Jump up^ Magnus Manske’s publicationsindexed by theScopusbibliographic database, a service provided byElsevier. (Subscription required)
- Jump up^ Daub, J .; Gardner, PP; Tate, J .; Ramsköld, D .; Manske, M .; Scott, WG; Weinberg, Z .; Griffiths-Jones, S .; Bateman, A. (2008). “The RNA WikiProject: Community annotation of RNA families” . RNA . 14 (12): 2462-2464. PMC 2590952 . PMID 18945806. Doi : 10.1261 / rna.1200508 .
- Jump up^ Magnus ManskeonTwitter
- Jump up^ Alastair Kerr (21 June 2011). “Desktop Sequence Analysis: software review” . Bioinformatics Knowledge Blog . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Claudia Lehnen (2 February 2008). “Der Wikipedia-Pionier aus Köln” [The Wikipedia pioneer from Cologne]. Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger (in German) . Retrieved 22 June 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Manske, M .; Miotto, O .; Campino, S .; Auburn, S .; Almagro-Garcia, J .; Maslen, G .; O’Brien, J .; Djimde, A .; Doumbo, O .; Zongo, I .; Ouedraogo, JB; Michon, P .; Mueller, I .; Siba, P .; Nzila, A .; Borrmann, S .; Kiara, SM; Marsh, K .; Jiang, H .; Su, XZ; Amaratunga, C .; Fairhurst, R .; Socheat, D .; Nosten, F .; Imwong, M .; White, NJ; Sanders, M .; Anastasi, E .; Alcock, D .; et al. (2012). “Analysis of Plasmodium falciparum diversity in natural infections by deep sequencing” . Nature . 487 (7407): 375-9. PMC 3738909 . PMID 22722859 . Doi : 10.1038 / nature11174 .
- Jump up^ Manske, HM; Kwiatkowski, DP (2009). “Look Seq : A browser-based viewer for deep sequencing data” . Genome Research . 19 (11): 2125-32. PMC 2775587 . PMID 19679872 . Doi :10.1101 / gr.093443.109 .
- Jump up^ Manske, HM; Kwiatkowski, DP (2009). “SNP-o-matic” . Bioinformatics . 25 (18): 2434-5. PMC 2735664 . PMID 19574284 . Doi : 10.1093 / bioinformatics / btp403 .
- Jump up^ Robinson, T .; Campino, SG; Auburn, S .; Assefa, SA; Polley, SD; Manske, M .; MacInnis, B .; Rockett, KA; Maslen, GL; Sanders, M .; Quail, MA; Chiodini, PL; Kwiatkowski, DP; Clark, TG; Sutherland, CJ (2011). “Drug-Resistant Genotypes and Multi-Clonality in Plasmodium falciparum Analyzed by Direct Genome Sequencing from Peripheral Blood of Malaria Patients” . PLoS ONE . 6 (8): e23204. PMC 3154926 . PMID 21853089 . Doi :10.1371 / journal.pone.0023204 .
- Jump up^ Logan, DW; Sandal, M .; Gardner, PP; Manske, M .; Bateman, A.(2010). “Simple Ten Rules for Editing Wikipedia” . PLOS Computational Biology . 6 (9): e1000941. PMC 2947980 . PMID 20941386 . Doi : 10.1371 / journal.pcbi.1000941 .
- Jump up^ “Magnus Manske” . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Wikimedia-related tools by Magnus Manske
- Jump up^ “DNA Research, parasites Putting on the world map.” China Weekly News . 26 June 2012.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Kurt Jansson (14 January 2011). “Zehn Jahre Wikipedia – Der kurze Sommer der Anarchie” . Der Spiegel .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jennifer Joline Anderson (2011). Wikipedia: The Company and Its Founders . ABDO. p. 44. ISBN 978-1-61714-812-5 .
- Jump up^ Torsten Kleinz (16 December 2012). “Neues Werkzeug soll Anfänger zur Wikipedia locken” . Die Zeit .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Sumana Harihareswara; Guillaume Paumier (2012). “MediaWiki”. In Amy Brown; Greg Wilson. The Architecture of Open Source Applications . Kristian Hermansen. ISBN 978-1-105-57181-7 . Retrieved 27 March 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Rajeev Kumar. “Wiki Installation and Customization” . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Wikipedia: PHP script new features” . Wikipedia . 2002-01-27.
- Jump up^ Magnus Manske (27 January 2002). “[Wikipedia-l] New features list” . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Erik Möller (9 May 2003). “Das Wiki-Prinzip” . Heise online .
- Jump up^ NA Polukarova (June 2007). “The concept of open editing from the copyright viewpoint”. Automatic Documentation and Mathematical Linguistics . Allerton Press, Inc. 41 (3): 104-107. ISSN 1934-8371 . Doi : 10.3103 / S0005105507030053 .
In this paper, we present the authors of the authors’ book, Magnus Manske.
- Jump up^ “Magnus’ toys’n’tools” . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Magnus’ tools on wmflabs” . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Mathias Schindler; Denny Vrandečić (March 2009). “Introducing new features to Wikipedia” (PDF) . In Hendler, Jim; Margetts, Helen . Proceedings of the First International Conference on Web Sciences WebSci09 . Athens, Greece . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “German Wikipedia reaches landmark millionth entry” . Deutsche Welle . 28 December 2009.
- Jump up^ dpa / mos (28 December 2009). “Deutsche Wikipedia erreicht eine Million Einträge” . Die Zeit .
- Jump up^ Achim Sawall (28 December 2009). “Deutschsprachige Wikipedia erreicht die Millionenmarke” . golem.de.
- Jump up^ “[Wikipedia-l] Celebration” . 25 January 2002 . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ Larry Sanger (2008). “The Early History of Nupedia and Wikipedia: A Memoir”. In Chris DiBona, Danese Cooper, and Mark Stone. Open Sources 2.0: The Continuing Evolution . O’Reilly Media. p. 317. ISBN 978-0-596-55389-0 .
- Jump up^ “STUG award” . Retrieved 4 June 2013 .