Rakuten Kobo Inc. is a Canadian company that sells e-books , e-readers and tablet computers . It is headquartered in Toronto and is a subsidiary of the Japanese e-commerce conglomerate Rakuten . The name Kobo is an anagram of book .  
It originated as Shortcovers , a cloud e-reading services lancé by the Canadian bookstore chain Indigo Books and Music in February 2009.  In December 2009, the department renamed Indigo Kobo and spun it off into an independent company. Indigo remains the majority owner, with investors including Borders Group , Cheung Kong Holdings , and REDgroup Retail taking minority stakes.  As of March 2010 , Indigo Books & Music owned 58% of Kobo Inc.  Rakuten Acquired from the company owners thesis in January 2012.    On May 23, 2016 Waterstones announced that they have access to their ebooks via Kobo’s ebook site. Rakuten Kobo Inc. , and as of June 14, 2016 
Kobo produces several e-readers with e-paper screens. On the cheaper end, its lineup consists of the base model Kobo Touch , the smaller Kobo Mini , and the Kobo Glo , which has an illuminated screen. On the higher end, it includes the Kobo Aura ; The Kobo Aura HD , which adds a higher resolution screen; And the waterproof Kobo Aura H 2 O. These e-readers compete with the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook product lines.
Kobo’s e-readers use Wi-Fi to sync a user’s book collection and bookmarks with Kobo’s cloud service, qui can aussi be accessed from Kobo e-reading apps for Windowsand OS X computers and Android , iOS , BlackBerry , and Windows Phone smartphones.
Kobo also produces the Kobo Arc family of Android tablets , which it introduced in 2012 and refreshed in 2013. It previously sold the Kobo Vox , a 7-inch Android tablet released in 2011.
Kobo offers free reading applications for Windows and OS X computers and Android , iOS , BlackBerry , and Windows Phone smartphones. In June 2015, Kobo received a Top Developer badge in the Google Play store. 
Store and publishing
Kobo’s bookstore was opened in 2009. It is currently localized for 16 countries and included 4 million titles.   Content sold on the Kobo Bookstore include eBooks, newspapers, and magazines. The majority of titles are sold in the open ePub format, albeit with DRM . 
Several digital book stores have closed down and transferred their users to Kobo’s bookstore. This includes the defunct Borders eBook Store ,  as well as the Sony Reader Store .  Kobo’s offering.
On July 17, 2012, Kobo launched a self-publishing platform called Kobo Writing Life.   Key features of Kobo Writing Life include “deep analytics”, allowing authors to track sales in real time; A “learning center” to guide newcomers in digital publishing; And allowing an author to sell books globally. By July 2014, 250,000 books written by 30,000 authors have been published through this program; These authors originate from 157 countries and have books published in 69 languages. 
Sales and market share
Kobo sells its devices online and through physical retail channels. The company has strategic partnerships with Cheung Kong Holdings ,  WH Smith ,   Whitcoulls ,  FNAC ,  and Livraria Cultura .  Kobo also has a program partnering with independent bookstores to sell their devices.  According to the EVP of business development, Todd Humphrey, “From day 1, we made it our goal and a priority to be international … we were not international, we were not going to get the scale. Was not able to get the pricing that some of our competitors would get to. ”  In the middle of 2014, Kobo claimed to serve 18 million readers in over 190 countries with over 17,600 online and physical retail channels.  
Sony has been in the [e-reader] market in Japan for a long time, but the only company we have is a competitor there is Amazon. ”– Todd Humphrey, Wired.com
This approach led to Wired singling out Kobo as the “only global competitor to Amazon [in the eBook market]”.  Kobo now claims to have over 20% of the worldwide market, behind only Amazon.com .  During the 2011 Christmas period, the company saw a record sevenfold growth in sales.   On Christmas Day 2012, Kobo claims over 22 million pages were turned.  Content revenue increased 44% year over year in 2013. 
Michael Serbinis of Kobo is a member of the United States of America.  Kobo-owner Rakuten’s CEO Hiroshi Mikitani has added that stated Kobo is “number one in France, they’re ahead of Amazon in Japan, partially because of us, and Australia and New Zealand as well.” 
Kobo Inc. released e-book reading data from the file Managed over 21 million readers worldwide in 2014. Some of the data Said That only 45% of UK readers finished the bestselling e-book The Goldfinch ; This is evidence that while popular e-books are being completely read, many are only sampled. 
|Market share of e-readers in Canada by Ipsos Reid in January 2012
- Amazon Kindle
- Barnes & Noble
- Google Play Store
- Kindle Store
- Nook Store
- Jump up^ Hartley, Matt (November 8, 2011). “New chapter for Kobo as firm to Japan’s Rakuten” . Financial Post . Archived from the original on 8 November 2011 . Retrieved 8 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ Nursall, Kim. “Toronto-based e-reader Kobo lays off 63 people” . Toronto Star . Retrieved 8 October 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Woods, Stuart (15 December 2009). “Kobo spins off from Indigo, partners with Borders” . Quill & Quire . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ “World, Meet Kobo!” . Kobo Café . 15 December 2009 . Retrieved 12 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Andriani, Lynn (9 February 2009). “Indigo Unveils Shortcovers, New E-Reading Platform” . Publishers Weekly . Archived fromthe original on 2 November 2011 . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ Nowak, Peter (24 March 2010), “Indigo targets Amazon with Kobo e-reader” , News , CA : CBC.
- Jump up^ “E-reader maker Kobo Inc. says its sales to Japan’s Rakuten has closed” . Toronto: Canadian Business. 11 January 2012. Archived from the original on 11 January 2012 . Retrieved 11 January 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Rakuten Completes Acquisition of Kobo” . Toronto : Tech Finance. 12 January 2012 . Retrieved 13 January 2012 .
- Jump up^ Clark, Shaylin (January 11, 2012). “E-reading Company Kobo Sold To Rakuten For $ 315 Million” . WebProNews. Archived from the original on 13 January 2012 . Retrieved 13 January2012 .
- Jump up^ Staff (May 23, 2016). “Waterstones quits ebooks, hands business to Kobo” . Seenit.co.uk .
- Jump up^ “Kobo Books – Android Apps on Google Play” .
- Jump up^ “About Us” . Www.kobo.com . Retrieved 2017-05-26 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Kobo Corporate Backgrounder” (PDF) . Kobo . Retrieved 11 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Sabine Kaldonek, Rüdiger Wischenbart (2011). “The Global E-book Market: Current conditions and future projections” (PDF) .
- Jump up^ Carnoy, David (20 July 2011). “Kobo trying to untangle itelf from Borders Mess” . CNET . Archived from the original on 2 November 2011 . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ http://blog.sony.com/2014/02/the-future-of-reader-store/
- Jump up^ Kozlowski, Michael (18 July 2012). “Kobo Launches the Writing Life Self-Publishing Platform” . Good eReader. Archived fromthe original on 12 September 2012 . Retrieved 12 September2012 .
- Jump up^ Kozlowski, Michael. “Interview with Michael Tamblyn on Kobo Writing Life and International Expansion” . Good e-Reader . Retrieved 23 May 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Indigo Maintains Majority Ownership As Kobo Closes $ 50 Million Investment Round” . CNW Group . 19 April 2011. Archived from the original on 2 November 2011 . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Kobo Announces Partnership with Leading UK Retailer WHSmith to Deliver the Kobo eReading Platform and eReaders to Customers” . Market Watch. 13 October 2011 . Retrieved 5 June 2011 .
- Jump up^ Jones, Phillip (October 21, 2011). “More detail on the WH Smith Kobo deal” . Future Book. Archived from the original on 2 November 2011 . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ Biba, Paul (April 26, 2010). “Whitcoulls of New Zealand to launch ebooks – Kobo is branching out” . Teleread. Archived from the original on 2 November 2011 . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Kobo continuous global expansion” . Kobo Inc. 11 October 2011 . Retrieved 2 November 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Kobo partners with Livraria Cultura to sell e-readers in Brazil”. PaidContent.org . 15 September 2012 . Retrieved 17 May 2013 .
- Jump up^ Greenfield, Jeremy (April 5, 2014). “Indie Bookstore Sales of Kobo Dwarf Ebooks Google; Still Small” . Digital Book World . F + W Media Ltd . Retrieved 12 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Seave, Ava (27 September 2013). “Digital Reading Company Kobo ‘On Pace To Be A Billion Dollar Company ‘ ” . Forbes . Forbes.com LLC . Retrieved 12 July 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Rakuten Financial Results” (PDF) . Rakuten . Retrieved 12 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Carmody, Tim (January 24, 2012). “Why Rakuten’s Kobo Is Amazon’s Only Global Competition” . WIRED.com . Conde Nast. Retrieved 12 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Hsiao, Jim (14 November 2014). “Digitimes Research: 4.57 million e-book readers to be shipped globally in 4Q12” . DIGITIMES Research . DigiTimes Inc . Retrieved 12 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Kozlowski, Michael (5 January 2012). “Kobo Experiences Record Growth during the last Six Weeks” . Good eReader. Archived from the original on 5 January 2012 . Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- Jump up^ Campbell, Lisa (January 5, 2012). “Kobo e-book sales increase seven-fold in December” . London, United Kingdom: The Bookseller . Archived from the original on 5 January 2012 . Retrieved 5 January 2012 .
- Jump up^ Gilbert, David (16 January 2013). “Kobo Doubles e-Reader Sales Despite Predicted Decline” . International Business Times. IBTimes Co, Ltd . Retrieved 12 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ KRASHINSKY AND STRAUSS (6 September 2012). “$ 315-million Kobo takeover deal to windfall for Indigo” . The Globe and Mail . Retrieved 20 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ Geron (6 September 2012). “Rakuten CEO Hiroshi Mikitani On Amazon, Pinterest And Fixing Japanese Business” . Forbes . Retrieved 20 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Ebooks can tell which novels you did not finish” . The Guardian . December 10, 2014.
- Jump up^ Barbour, Mary Beth (19 April 2012). “BlackBerry, Apple and Kobo Life for their Share of the Pie in Canada’s Hot Mobile Device Market . ” Ipsos Reid . Retrieved 22 May 2012 .