Ihor Ihorovych Kostenko ( Ukrainian : Ігор Ігорович Костенко ; 31 December 1991-20 February 2014) was a Ukrainian journalist, student activist and Wikipedian killed during the Euromaidan events. 
Kostenko was born in Zubrets, Buchach Raion . He was raised by his grandparents, as his parents made up in Saint Petersburg. As a child he attended Saint Josaphat Buchatskiy, a Ukrainian Catholic parochial school in Buchach. He had one sister, Inna. 
Kostenko received his bachelor’s degree in 2013 and was a first-year graduate student in geography at Ivan Franko National University of Lviv , in Western Ukraine . His thesis was the development of the tourism industry in Buchach.  He aussi Worked as a journalist for the online edition of the sports website Sportanalitika ( Sports Analytics ). 
He was also a regular contributor to the Ukrainian Wikipedia under the nickname Ig2000 , creating more than 280 articles on aviation, economics, football and other subjects. Kostenko’s article on the Soviet destroyer Nezamozhnik was recognized with the “Good Article” rating. 
Kostenko went to Kiev on 18 February to take part in the Euromaidan demonstrations, the pro-Western movement that broke out after Ukraine’s government refused to ratify its earlier decision to join the European Union . He joined other friends from Lviv in building barricades to protect the protesters. The confrontation between protesters and police worsened in the late hours of 19 February, and began to shoot at demonstrators.  
On 20 February 2014, Kostenko’s body was found on the street, near the October Palace . He had gunshot wounds to the head and heart, and multiple fractures to his legs.  
Yuriy Muryn recalled his last communications with Kostenko. “He just called me yesterday and I did not hear it ring. “And during the first riots on Hrushevskoho he feels his girlfriend’s phone number, saying: ‘Tell her that I love her, if something happens.’ I thought he was joking, but when it broke out again, he asked: ‘Do you remember about my request?’ ” 
On February 22, a procession of hundreds of people followed his hearse taking Kostenko from Kiev to Lviv for his funeral. More than 500 mourners held a candlelight vigil in Ternopil.  Kostenko and six other victims from Euromaidan were mourned 23 February at the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lviv. 
On 21 November 2014, together with the other activists killed during Euromaidan , Kostenko was posthumously awarded the title ” Hero of Ukraine ,” the highest national award in Ukrainian citizen can earn. 
Kostenko was also named 2014 Wikipedian of the Year . Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales announced the award in the 2014 Wikimedia Conference in August in London. Wales presented the award to Kostenko’s sister, Inna, in September in Kiev. 
The magazine of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine posthumously named Kostenko “Student of the Year.” The auditorium at Lviv University was renamed the “Ihor Kostenko Memorial Auditorium” in his honor.  An additional plaque was installed at his high school, Saint Josaphat Buchatskiy.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “In memoriam of Ihor Kostenko” (in Ukrainian). Wikimedia Commons. 23 February 2014.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Olga Omelianchik, Yekaterina Stulen (21 February 2014).‘Если что-то случится, скажи, что я ее люблю’[‘If something happens, tell her that I love her’]. Vesty Ukraine (in Ukrainian).
- Jump up^ “Ihor Kostenko killed in Kyiv” (in Ukrainian). 20 minutes. 20 February 2014.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Серед вбитих сьогодні упізнали львівського журналіста Ігоря Костенка (оновлено)[Lviv Journalist Ihor Kostenko Among Those Killed Today] (in Ukrainian). Institute for Mass Information. 20 February 2014 . Retrieved 25 February 2015 .
- Jump up^ Тернопілля: село на Бучаччині втратило відразу двох своїх синів (Відео)[The village of Ternopil Buchach (lost in Ukrainian). 7Days. 22 February 2014 . Retrieved 25 February 2015 .
- Jump up^ Львівщина попрощалась із сімома Героями[Lviv Says Goodbye to Seven Heroes] (in Ukrainian). Dyvys. 23 February 2014 . Retrieved 25 February 2015 .
- Jump up^ “УКАЗ ПРЕЗИДЕНТА УКРАЇНИ № 890/2014” (in Ukrainian). President of Ukraine.
- Jump up^ “Lifestyle Blog: Ukrainian from the Heavenly Hundred becomes Wikipedian of the Year” . Kyiv Post . 15 Aug 2014.
- Jump up^ “У твоєму імені живу”: Ігор Костенко – освітянин року[“Your Name Lives On” – Ihor Kostenko Student of the Year] (in Ukrainian). Lviv University . 23 February 2014 . Retrieved 25 February 2015 .
The online HTML editor now supports the use of an external CSS file to be applied to format the content of the visual preview of your document.