Edward Lucas (born May 3, 1962) is a British journalist working for The Economist , London-based global news weekly. He was the Moscow office chief from 1998 to 2002, and thereafter the central and east European correspond.  He has also been a correspondent for The Independent and the BBC . Lucas also writes occasionally for the Daily Mail . Edward Lucas is Senior Fellow and Contributing Editor at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA) in Washington DC 
Lucas has been noted for his strong criticism of the Russian government, in particular of Vladimir Putin .
Early life and education and early work
He Was educated at Winchester College and the London School of Economics (being white has icts member of University Challenge team in 1984) and Studied Polish at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow . His father is the Oxford philosopher John Lucas .
Lucas has worked as a writer for The Economist ,  and has written for other publications such as The Times . He has contributed to several books, including Why I am still an Anglican (Continuum 2006).
Lucas’s book, The New Cold War , was published in 2008. Newsweek asserted that “Lucas has built a very strong case for the prosecution [of Vladimir Putin]. guilty. ”  The Sunday Telegraph called it the best portrait to date of the mentality of Putin’s ruling class. 
The Independent wrote: “His book is urgent is fueled by the belief that, while the Russian bear has been sharpening its claws, the West has slept. has-been to take our eyes off the ball, so obsessed with the ” war on terror ” that we-have failed to Understand the implications of Kremlin policy and pronouncements, as personified by Vladimir Putin. ”  The book received praise from Vladimir Bukovsky , Mart Laar and Oleg Gordievsky , and criticism from John Laughland and Alexander Zaitchik .  
The book’s 2009 edition contains more opinions on the Russia-Georgia War of 2008 and Russia’s pipeline politics . 
Lucas has condemned whistleblower Edward Snowden , saying “If Snowden had approached me with these documents I would have him down to Bow Street police station and asked them to arrest him.”  Lucas has written an e-book called The Snowden Operation: Inside the West’s Greatest Intelligence Disaster detailing his view that Snowden was working as a Russian spy . 
His second wife is the columnist Cristina Odone , with whom he has one child; He had two children with his first wife Claudia.  On 1 December 2014, Edward Lucas became the first e-resident of Estonia . 
- The New Cold War: Putin’s Russia and the Threat to the West , Palgrave Macmillan (19 February 2008), ISBN 0-230-60612-1 .
- Deception: The Untold Story of East-West Espionage Today , Walker & Company (19 June 2012), ISBN 978-0802711571
- Jump up^ Economist.com journalist listing – Edward Lucas
- Jump up^ Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA) – People
- Jump up^ Edward Lucas’ blog- provides articles from the Economist and other publications, as well as unpublished thoughts
- Jump up^ The New Cold Warrior. Newsweek.
- Jump up^ The last Russian, and the next. The Telegraph. 21 March 2008.
- Jump up^ The New Cold War, By Edward Lucas: Putin and the Kremlin. Reviewed by Virginia Rounding. 7 February 2008
- Jump up^ Edward Lucas’s Cold War Hustle The eXile, 19 November 2007
- Jump up^ Predictable Response: Russia’s Critics on Medvedev’s VictoryJohn Laughland, Brussels Journal, 07/93/2008
- Jump up^ New Cold War. Robert Collins. The Observer, 22 February 2009
- Jump up^ Economist’s Edward Lucas claims Russian ‘silence radio’ over invasion of Crimea was due to Snowden revelations – Dominic Ponsford – 28 March 2014
- Jump up^ Is Snowden a Russian Operative? An Interview with Edward Lucas – Michael Weiss – The Interpreter MagazineJanuary 29, 2014
- Jump up^ Cristina Odone (31 October 2009). “The stepmothers’ survival guide” . The Guardian . Retrieved 23 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Journalist Edward Lucas becomes the 1st Estonian e-resident. ERR, 1 December 2014