The Hunting Ground is a documentary film about the incidence of sexual assault on college campuses in the United States and what its creators say is a failure of college administrations to deal with it adequately. Written and directed by Kirby Dick and produced by Amy Ziering , it premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival . The film was released on February 27, 2015,  an edited version aired on CNN on November 22, 2015,   and was released on DVD the week of December 1, 2015. Lady Gaga recorded An original song, ” Til It Happens to You ,” for the film. 
The documentary focuses on Annie E. Clark and Andrea Pino ,  two trainers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill students who filed a Title IX complaint against UNC in response to their rapes while enrolled.  The use of Title IX in campus sexual assault cases became a model for universities across the country.  
Critics of the film, including writer Emily Yoffe and a number of Harvard Law School professors, have questioned the Hunting Ground’s accuracy and objectivity.   [13 ]    [12 ]       [ Next article ] [View Article] This article is free for republishing Source : 12] and for use of controversial statistics.  The filmmakers have actively defended their work, responding to most criticisms.    
According to Ziering, Dick and Ziering’s 2012 documentary The Invisible War , which focuses on the issue of sexual assault in the US military , inspired them to make a documentary about the subject of sexual assault at American colleges. 
The Hunting Ground presents a number of students who have been sexually assaulted at their college campuses, and that college administrators either ignore them or require them to navigate a complex academic bureaucracy to have their claims addressed. The film implied that many college officials were more concerned with minimizing rape statistics for their universities than with the welfare of the students, and  and contained interviews with college administrators who were pressured into suppressing rape cases.  The film chiefly criticized actions (or lack thereof) by university administrations, including Harvard , the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ,  Amherst College , and Our Lady , but it also examines fraternities such as Sigma Alpha Epsilon . 
The narrative features Andrea Pino and Annie Clark,  students at the University of North Carolina, who became anti-rape activists after being assaulted. In response to what they have seen, they filed a Title IX complaint against the University of North Carolina on January 16, 2013 (along with three other students),  and co-founded the group End Rape On Campus. 
The filmmakers interviewed students, parents, and administrators. The Hunting Ground also includes a conversation with a Notre Dame police officer who criticized how the case was handled at that institution.  The official spoke of a case of a student accused of rape, a Notre Dame football player, at any time that was a student athletic department property.  The Hunting Ground also includes testimony from male victims of sexual assault. Producer Amy Ziering stated the filmmakers “for men it’s important to show men and women. Is a social stigma associated with rape. Many male victims were ashamed. ” 
A section of the film is focused on Jameis Winston , the training star quarterback for the Florida State Seminoles football team (now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ), and the accusation of sexual assault against him while at Florida State . His accuser, Erica Kinsman, publicly discusses the incident for the first time.  
The filmmakers also contend that most rapes are committed by a small number of repeat offenders. Director Kirby Dick stated that the percentage of the population is responsible for more than ninety percent of all sexual assaults.  Producer Amy Ziering said that “our failure as a society to apprehend perpetrators leaves criminals at large who are savvy and experienced, and able to continue to commit these crimes with impunity.” 
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) makes a brief appearance in the film. 
The film features two tracks by Lady Gaga : ” Swine ”  and an original song written by Diane Warren and Lady Gaga  titled ” Til It Happens to You “. The Hollywood Music in Media Awards  and has been nominated for a 2016 Grammy Award in the Best Song Written for Visual Media category.  “Til It Happens to You” was subsequently nominated for the 2016 Academy Award for Best Original Song .  Another song played in the documentary is ”
Rotten Tomatoes Indicated That 92% of critics gave the film positive reviews the person based on 62 reviews, with an average score of 7.8 out of 10. Its consensus reads: ” The Hunting Ground is not in director Kirby Dick’s Strongest work as a filmmaker, the goal Movie’s powerful message more than trumps any technical weaknesses. ”  At Metacritic , which has an average rating of 77, considered to be favorable, based on 29 reviews.  It would be billed by the Sundance Film Festival as a “piercing, The film had the potential to affect activism and social policy.  While MOST reviews positive Were, Variety Film critic, Ella Taylor accusé The Hunting Ground of “shoddy journalism” and called Expired it a “loaded piece of agitprop That plays fast and loose with statistics and our sympathy with victims of campus sexual assault” 
The Hunting Ground was nominated for the “Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Picture” award by the Producers Guild of America ,  but lost to Amy .  On December 1, 2015, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences annoncé That The Hunting Ground Was one of the fifteen documentary shortlisted film for an Oscar nomination in the Best Documentary Feature category,  goal it failed to make the Final list of five nominees announced on January 14, 2016.  In December 2015, the film won the 2016 Stanley Kramer Award given to “a production,  The Hunting Ground was also one of the nominated movies in the Documentary category of 2016 MTV Movie Awards . 
On February 26, 2015, Annie Clark and Andrea Pino, reintroduced the Campus Accountability and Safety Act , a bipartisan group of twelve US senators, accompanied by the film’s lead subjects . The act, originally introduced in July 2014,  would require universities to adopt standard practices for weighing sexual charges, and to survey students on the prevalence of assault. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts on June 2, 2015 to promote and promote new learning institutions. At the screening, Cuomo called the movie ”   California Senator Barbara Boxer responded to the movie by saying “The power on that status quo side, you’re going to see It in response to this film. Believe me, there will be fallout. ” 
Charges of inaccuracy
Emily Yoffe of Slate challenged the accuracy of the documentary, based on her testimony against Brandon Winston by Witness Kamilah Willingham , who said that Winston had sexually assaulted a classmate.  The Harvard Crimson criticized the film for misrepresenting sexual assault statistics and other details. The Crimson Article aussi que la charged movie’s creators HAD included excerpts of a fake video-created as a prank for the student comedy group On Harvard Time -showing a female Harvard application covered vomiting upon learning she HAD-been accepted to the university.  Writing for New York , Jesse Singal criticized the film ‘ David Lisak , who was the first to write a paper on the subject of the paper. 
An additional controversy surrounded emails sent by producer Amy Herdy, who has been writing a book about the Hunting Ground for a long time. The perpetrator’s side. ” Herdy’s email said that the filmmakers wanted the alleged perpetrator to “get complacent because then we will ambush him.”   In response, the filmmakers stated that the singling out of those emails was a diversionary tactic to take attention away from the failures of college administrators and discredit the filmmakers. 
Responses by film subjects
Harvard Law School
Harvard Law School professors (Elizabeth Bartholet, Scott Brewer, Charles Donahue, Jr., Nancy Gertner, Janet Halley, Bruce L. Hay, Philip B. Heymann, David W. Kennedy, Duncan M Kennedy, Randall L. Kennedy, Charles J. Ogletree, Jr., Richard D. Parker, J. Mark Ramseyer, David Rosenberg, Lewis D. Sargentich, David L. Shapiro, Henry J. Steiner, Jeannie C. Suk and Laurence H. Tribe) criticized The Hunting Ground . Brandon Winston, “citing, among other sources, Emily Yoffe’s article in Slate .     The Proceedings. 
In a statement emailed to The Harvard Crimson, the film director and producer, Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering, criticized the law professors’ letter, saying it was “irresponsible and raises an important question about whether the very public bias Of an assailant contributes to a hostile climate at Harvard Law “. 
Jeannie Suk , one of nineteen Harvard Law professors to sign the letter, told the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education that filmmaker’s how “exemplifies the reckless way of using the concept of a hostile environment these days” Of violating Title IX because of our criticism of @thehuntinground we will not be allowed to speak about that “.  Suk Later wrote that there were several concerns about filing a Title IX complaint and likened the misuse of Title IX to Laura Kipnis’ experience.  Another of the professors, Janet E. Halley, stated “What [the filmmaker’s statement] really means that they do not want the debate.”
In a January 5, 2016 Huffington Post , filmmakers Dick and Zeiring reiterated their charges against the nineteen Harvard Law professors signing the letter, stating those professors had a public campaign to discredit an assault survivor “Harper and Harvard Law: If you report a sexual assault, your professors may come after you publicly”.  Professor Janet E. Halley, ” The Hunting Ground has profoundly misled the public about the ensuing processes which come out decisively against those claims.” 
Florida State University
Florida State University (FSU) President John Thrasher said that the Hunting Ground “contains major distortions and glaring omissions to support its simplistic narratives and universities are to blame for our national sexual assault crisis.”   The filmmakers contended in response that Thrasher “just did not want the film to be seen because it is FSU for their handling of a sexual assault case.”  Additionally, in a November 21, 2015 open letter to Thrasher (published in the Huffington Post), The Hunting Ground director Kirby Dick and producer Amy Ziering stated that the film is clearly accurate in her depiction of Ms. Kinsman’s account,
On November 20, 2015, lawyers for Jameis Winston sent a letter to CNN President Jeff Zucker’s threatening legal action against the network.  Despite warnings from Winston’s attorneys, CNN ran the documentary on November 22,  along with a follow-up program, hosted by Alisyn Camerota , discussing the film and the issues it raised.  CNN’s Airing of the Hunting Ground was a moderate ratings success, with 457,000 estimated viewers. CNN ranked first among cable news networks during the Hunting Ground’s slot in the 25-54 demographic , and placed second for total viewers. 
Reports of conflicts of interest on Wikipedia
As the CNN Air Date of The Hunting Ground Approached, media carry Appeared Stating That a crew member of The Hunting Ground HAD made multiple edits to Wikipedia pages in order to bring the content Of Those pages étroitement more in line with the movie’s narrative. An assistant editor and technical supervisor working for the movie’s Production company HAD Openly Numerous edits made, spanning Several months, Including edits to the page for Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston and to the page for The Hunting Ground Itself.    Such edits can violate Wikipedia’s conflict of interest rules. 
In a statement on The Hunting Ground website, the filmmakers disagreed, stating that they had “not only met but exceeded Wikipedia’s standards for disclosure”, that they had “taken great care to respect (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Wikipedia has an article on: Wikipedia 
- Jump up^ “The Hunting Ground” . Box Office Mojo . June 18, 2015 . Retrieved November 26, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Setoodeh, Ramin (May 1, 2015). “Campus Rape Doc” The Hunting Ground “Premieres at Sundance” . Variety . Retrieved January 28, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f Barnes, Brooks (January 25, 2015). “An Unblinking Look at Sexual Assaults on Campus” . The New York Times . Retrieved May 1, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Daunt, Tina (November 17, 2015). “CNN Defends Campus Rape Movie That Its College Critics Call” Inaccurate, “” Misleading” ” . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “New to DVD: Week of Dec. 1” . Visalia Times-Delta . Gannett Company . 30 November 2015 . Retrieved 1 December 2015 .
- Jump up^ Murphy, Shaunna (January 26, 2015). “Here’s How Lady Gaga’s Song About Sexual Assault Ended Up At Sundance” . MTV . Retrieved January 28, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Keslassy, Elsa (8 January 2016). “Producer Amy Ziering on Investigating College Rape in ‘The Hunting Ground'” . Variety. Retrieved January 8, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Richard Pérez-Peña (2013-03-07). “Students Initiate Inquiry Into Harassment Reports” . The New York Times . Retrieved 2013-05-04 .
- Jump up^ Johnson, Rebecca (October 9, 2016). “Sexual Assault Campus: Annie E. Clark and Andrea Pino Are Fighting Back-And-Shaping the National Debate” . Vogue . Retrieved 14 December 2016 .
- Jump up^ Sneed, Tierney (February 27, 2014). ” ‘ The Hunting Ground’ Subjects Defend Title IX Campaign” . US News & World Report . Retrieved 14 December 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Yoffe, Emily (June 1, 2015). “How the Hunting Ground Blurs the Truth: The documentary is shaping the public debate around campus rape.” A closer look at one of its central cases suggests the filmmakers put advocacy ahead of accuracy . Slate . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Schow, Ashe (November 11, 2015). “19 Harvard Law professors pen letter denouncing ‘The Hunting Ground ‘ ” . Washington Examiner . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Taylor, Stuart, Jr. (November 16, 2015). “A Smoking-Gun E-mail Exposes the Bias of the Hunting Ground” . National Review. Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Singal, Jesse (November 23, 2015). ” The Hunting GroundUses a Striking Statistic About Campus Rape That’s Almost Certainly False” . New York .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Duehren, Andrew M. (December 4, 2015). “Website Continues Challenge of ‘The Hunting Ground’ Movie” . The Harvard Crimson . Retrieved December 5, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dick, Kirby; Ziering, Amy (November 22, 2015). “An Open Letter to Florida State University President Thrasher” . The Huffington Post . Retrieved November 22, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Fact check: The Hunting Ground and Wikipedia” . The Hunting Ground Film. 25 November 2015 . Retrieved 1 December2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Lowman, Rob (February 25, 2015). “Jameis Winston’s accuser speaks out in campus rape documentary ‘Hunting Ground'” . Los Angeles Daily News . Retrieved 16 December2015 .
- Jump up^ Andrea Pino (2013-01-19). “Why Filing an Office for Civil Rights Complaint Against UNC Is Bigger Than Me” . Huffington Post . Retrieved 2013-06-21 .
- Jump up^ Johnson, Rebecca (October 9, 2014). “Sexual Assault Campus: Annie E. Clark and Andrea Pino Are Fighting Back-And-Shaping the National Debate” . Vogue .
- Jump up^ Breech, John (November 21, 2015). “Jameis Winston threatens lawsuit against CNN over documentary” . CBSSports.com . Retrieved November 21, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Scheer, Robert (26 December 2015). “Scheer Intelligence: Discussing The Hunting Ground with Director Kirby Dick and Producer Amy Ziering” . Huffington Post . Retrieved January 8,2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Stern, Marlow (January 24, 2015). “Jameis Winston’s Rape Accuser Tells All In Sundance Documentary ‘The Hunting Ground’ ” . The Daily Beast . Retrieved May 1, 2015 .
- Jump up^ ” The Hunting Ground (2015) Soundtracks” . IMDb . Retrieved May 3, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Gallo, Phil (January 27, 2015). “Diane Warren on Her Lady Gaga Collaboration for New Documentary ‘The Hunting Ground ‘” . Billboard . Retrieved May 4, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Feinberg, Scott (November 12, 2015). “Hollywood Music in Media Awards: ‘Hunting Ground,’ ‘Furious 7,’ ’50 Shades of Gray ‘Claim Top Prizes . Billboard . Retrieved November 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Grammy Nominations 2016: See the Full List of Nominees” . Billboard . December 7, 2015 . Retrieved December 10, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The Oscars: Best Original Song nominees, 2016” . Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2016-01-14.
- Jump up^ ” The Hunting Ground (2015)” . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved May 1, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The Hunting Ground reviews” . Metacritic . Retrieved May 1,2015 .
- Jump up^ Kohn, Eric (January 24, 2015). “Sundance Review: Kirby Dick’s’ The Hunting Ground is an Alarming Look at Campus Rape” . Indiewire . Retrieved May 1, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Greenblatt, Leah (February 25, 2015). “The Hunting Ground: EW review” . Entertainment Weekly . Retrieved November 20,2015 .
- Jump up^ Edelstein, David (February 23, 2015). “College-Rape Documentary The Hunting Ground Plays Like a Horror Movie” . New York Magazine . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Stehle, Vincent (February 4, 2015). “Film on Campus Rape Could Take Philanthropy Activism to a New Level” . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Variety Staff (December 31, 2015). “Variety Critics Pick Their Least Favorite Films of 2015” . Variety . Retrieved February 28,2016 .
- Jump up^ Kilday, Gregg (November 23, 2015). ” ‘ The Hunting Ground’ from PGA Documentary Film Nominees” . The Hollywood Reporter . Archived from the original on November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 11 December 2016 .
- Jump up^ Olsen, Mark (January 23, 2016). ” ‘ The Big Short,’ ‘Inside Out,’ ‘Amy’ win prizes at Producers Guild Awards . Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 24, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Kojen, Natalie (December 1, 2015). “15 Documentary Features Advance in 2015 Oscar Race” . Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences . Retrieved December 5, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Oscar Nominations: The Complete List” . The Hollywood Reporter . 14 January 2016 . Retrieved January 14, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Pedersen, Erik (16 December 2015). ” ‘ The Hunting Ground’ PGA’s Stanley Kramer Award” . Deadline.com . Retrieved 16 December 2015 .
- Jump up^ Odiamar, Danielle (April 10, 2016). “MTV Movie Awards 2016: A Complete List of Nominees and Winners” . It is . Retrieved 14 December 2016 .
- Jump up^ Sanchez, Hanna (March 7, 2015). “Bipartisan Bill to Regulate How Colleges, Universities Handle Sexual Assault Cases” . ISchoolGuide . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Video, Photos & Transcript: Governor Cuomo Signs” Enough Is Enough “Legislation” . New York Office of the Governor . July 7, 2015 . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Kearney, Laila (July 8, 2015). “All NY Colleges to Adopt ‘Yes Means Yes’ Sex Assault Policy” . Reuters . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Levingston, Ivan BK (March 26, 2015). “The Hunting Ground” Misrepresents Harvard Sexual Assault Statistics ” . The Harvard Crimson . Retrieved November 11, 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Suk, Jeannie (December 11, 2015). “Shutting Down Conversations About Rape at Harvard Law” . New York Magazine . Retrieved 16 December 2015 .
- Jump up^ Bartholet, Elizabeth; Brewer, Scott; Donahue, Charles, Jr .; Gertner, Nancy; et al. (November 15, 2015). “Re: The Hunting Ground (Letter from 19 Law Professors)” (PDF) . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Harvard Professors: ‘Hunting Ground’ Unfair to Student” . Inside Higher Ed . November 12, 2015 . Retrieved November 20,2015 .
- Jump up^ Buckley, Cara (November 13, 2015). “Professors Dispute Depiction of Harvard Case in Rape Documentary” . The New York Times . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Response to Statement by 19 Harvard Law Professors” . The Hunting Ground Film. November 14, 2015 . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Harris, Samantha (December 4, 2015). “‘Hunting Ground’ Filmmakers to Harvard Law Teachers: Criticizing Our Film Could Create a ‘Hostile Climate'” . Foundation for Individual Rights in Education . Retrieved December 5, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Dick, Kirby; Ziering, Amy (January 5, 2016). “How Harvard Law Professors Retaliated Against An Assault Survivor” . Huffington Post . Retrieved January 5, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Duehren, Andrew M .; Parker, Clair E. (January 6, 2016). “‘Hunting Ground’ Filmmakers Slam Law Professors” . The Harvard Crimson . Retrieved January 6, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Thrasher, John (November 16, 2015). “Florida State president: ‘Inexcusable for CNN to pretend Hunting Ground is documentary rather than advocacy” . Tomahawk Nation News . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Schultz, Edan; Montanaro, Julie (November 19, 2015). “FSU President Responds to CNN’s Decision to Air” The Hunting Ground ” ” . WCTV . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Gardner, Eriq (November 20, 2015). “NFL Star Sends Legal Threat to CNN Over Rape Movie ‘The Hunting Ground’ (Exclusive) . The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved November 20,2015 .
- Jump up^ Koblin, John (November 22, 2015). “CNN to Show Sex Assault Film Despite Legal Threat” . The New York Times . Retrieved November 22, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Transcript: Full panel discussion taped for the CNN program” Sexual Assault on Campus ” ” . CNN . 24 November 2015 . Retrieved 1 December 2015 .
- Jump up^ Sandomir, Richard (November 23, 2015). “Documentary About Rape at Colleges Draws Viewers in Key Demographic” . The New York Times . Retrieved January 8, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Deen, Safid (November 20, 2015). ” ‘ The Hunting Ground’ crew member alters Wikipedia pages to conform to film” . Tallahassee Democrat . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Schow, Ashe (November 19, 2015). ” ‘ The Hunting Ground’ crew caught editing Wikipedia to make facts conform to film” . The Washington Examiner . Retrieved November 19, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Kruta, Virginia (November 20, 2015). “Filmmaker Caught Trying to Change the ‘Facts’ of Campus Rape Case to Fit Narrative” . Independent Journal Review . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ D’Angelo, Tom (November 20, 2015). “FSU President John Thrasher declines CNN invites to discuss Hunting Ground; Jameis Winston’s movie crew member edits Winston’s Wikipedia page” . Palm Beach Post . Retrieved November 20, 2015 .