Andrea Jean James (born January 16, 1967) is an American transgender rights activist, film producer, director, and blogger.  
James grew up in Indiana and attended Wabash College , where she majored in English, Latin, and Greek. After graduating in 1989, she obtained an MA in English language and literature from the University of Chicago . 
After college, James worked for ten years in advertising in Chicago. The work encouraged her to become involved in consumer activism, with an interest in medical and academic fraud.   In 1996 she created Transsexual Road Map, a consumer website for the transgender community,  and later set up HairFacts and HairTell, a website and discussion board about hair removal . 
James moved to Los Angeles in 2003 and co-founded Deep Stealth Productions with her roommate, author and entertainer Calpernia Addams , to create content marketed to transgender people.   They filmed an instructional video, Finding Your Female Voice , to offer voice coaching to trans women ,  and in 2004 produced and performed in the first all-transgender cast of The Vagina Monologues , debuting a new piece Created by Eve Ensler for the occasion.  James was also a co-producer of Beautiful Daughters , a documentary film about the event. 
In 2004 James founded the nonprofit GenderMedia Foundation.  The following year she was a consultant for Transamerica (2005), helping actress Felicity Huffman for her role as a trans woman.  She appeared in the HBO documentary Middle and Redefining He and She (2005), and in 2007 directed a 7-minute film, Casting Pearls .  She was a consulting producer for, and Appeared in, the reality-television series dating Transamerican Love Story on the Logo digital channel in 2008.  In 2009 she directed Reviews another short film, Transproofed .
James was appointed in 2007 to the Board of Directors of TransYouth Family Allies, a nonprofit that supports transgender youth and their families,  and in 2008 to the Board of Directors of Outfest , Queens At Heart.  In 2012 she co-founded Thought Moment Media.  She directed the 2015 Showtime concert film Alec Mapa: Baby Daddy . 
Writing and activism
James writes about consumer rights, technology, pop culture, and LGBT rights. She has contributed to Boing Boing , QuackWatch , eMedicine , The Advocate , and The Huffington Post .  
Together with Lynn Conway and Deirdre McCloskey , James was a driving figure in protests-described in 2007 as “one of the most organized and unified examples of transgender activism seen to date”  -against J. Michael Bailey’s book The Man Who Would Be Queen (2003). In the book Bailey argues that there are two forms of transsexualism : one a variant of male homosexuality, and the other a male sexual interest in having a female body, a taxonomy critics see as inaccurate and damaging. James argued that the book is a cure narrative , framed by a case report about a six-year-old child, That exemplifies the academic exploitation of transgender people. 
The dispute became heated when James posted a satirical page on her website containing photographs of Bailey’s children, alongside sexually explicit captions that quoted or parodied material in Bailey’s book. Bailey accused her of harassment, as did Alice Dreger , a colleague of Bailey’s at Northwestern University ; Dreger tried to stop James from speaking at the campus about the controversy.  Bailey’s disrespect to gender-variant children. 
- Jump up^ Lam, Steven. “What’s ‘gay’ now: we are everywhere indeed”,The Advocate , June 20, 2006.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Surkan, Kim. “Transsexuals protest academic exploitation,” in Lillian Faderman (ed). Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender events, 1848-2006 . Ipswich, MA: Salem Press, 2007, pp. 700-702.
- Jump up^ Wabash College. “Andrea James to Give Talk at Wabash”, Wabash College, October 21, 2008.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Garden, Xeni. “Welcome to the Boing Boing guestblog, Andrea James!” , Boing Boing , December 28, 2009.
- Jump up^ James, Gary. “Alum Shares Earned Wisdom With the Wabash Community,”Wabash College, October 28, 2008.
- Jump up^ Garvin, Glenn. “Breaking Boundaries”,The Miami Herald, March 15, 2003.
- Jump up^ Painter, K.”Who qualifies to zap hairs?” ,USA Today, March 26, 2006.Grossman, AJ “Zapping teenage torment” , The New York Times , June 5, 2008.
- Jump up^ Addams, Calpernia and James, Andrea. “Transformations”,The Advocate, July 22, 2003, p. 12.Nichols, James Michael. “The Incredible Story Of Trans Showgirl, Musician And Legend Calpernia Addams” , The Huffington Post, February 28, 2016.
- Jump up^ Hopper, Douglas. “Transgender Helping Women Find a New Voice”, All Things Considered , National Public Radio, March 5, 2006.
- Jump up^ Ensler, Eve and Tennyson, Joyce. Vagina Warriors. New York: Bulfinch Press, 2005, p. 11.ISBN 978-0-8212-6183-5″LesbianAlliance.com interviews DeepStealth’s Andrea James” , LesbianAlliance.com. Archived April 6, 2004.
- Jump up^ “Teaching resources: Beautiful Daughters”,Feminist Teacher, 18 (2), 2008, pp. 179-180. JSTOR 40546067
- Jump up^ Ensler, Eve et al. “V-Day LA: Until the violence stops”, Gender Media Foundation, 2004.
- Jump up^ Nangeroni, Nancy and MacKenzie, Gordene O.Episode # 555, gendertalk.com, April 15, 2006. Tucker, Duncan. Transamerica: The Shooting Script . Newmarket Press, 2006, pp. 93, 133. ISBN 978-1-55704-732-8Keck, William. “Felicity Huffman is sitting pretty” , USA Today , November 21, 2005.
- Jump up^ Adelman, Kim. ” Pariah ‘Leads The Pack of Outstanding Shorts at Outfest ’07 “, Indiewire , July 18, 2007.
- Jump up^ Pozner, Jennifer L.Reality bites back: the troubling truth about guilty pleasure TV. Seal Press, 2010.ISBN 978-1-58005-265-8Kearns, Michael. “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” , Frontiers , 2008, 26 (20).
- Jump up^ Everleth, Mike. “Echo Park Film Center: Transgender Short Films”,Bad Lit: The Journal of Underground Film, January 10, 2011.
- Jump up^ “I’m a TransYouth Family Advocate!” , Andreajames.com, 23 October 2007.James, Andrea. “Life Without Puberty” , The Advocate , January 25, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Outfest Board of Directors”, andreajames.com, June 11, 2008.Kelly, Shannon. “Highlighting the Outfest Legacy Project: Three Films” , UCLA Film and Television Archive , March 6, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Partners”, Thought Moment Media.
- Jump up^ “Alec Mapa: Baby Daddy”,Showtime.
- Jump up^ Bashour, Mounir and James, Andrea. “Laser Hair Removal”,eMedicine, July 2, 2009. James, Andrea. “Do not Tick Off Trans” , The Advocate , December 18, 2007. “Andrea James” , The Huffington Post .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Carey, Benedict. “Criticism of a Gender Theory, and has Scientist Under Siege” , The New York Times , August 21, 2007.
- Jump up^ James, Andrea. “Fair Comment, Foul Play: Populist Responses to J. Michael Bailey’s Exploitative Controversies”, paper presented to theNational Women’s Studies Association, June 21, 2008 (courtesy link), 3-4. Also see “The Bailey Brouhaha” , National Women’s Association Conference, courtesy of YouTube, June 21, 2008.James, Andrea. “A defining moment in our history: Examining disease models of gender identity” , tsroadmap.com, September 2004.
- Jump up^ Bailey, Michael J.”Academic McCarthyism”,Northwestern Chronicle, October 9, 2005.Dreger, Alice D. “The Controversy Surrounding the Man Who Would Be Queen: A Case History of the Politics of Science, Identity and Sex in the Internet Age,” Archives of Sexual Behavior , 2008, 37 (3), pp. 366-421. PMID 18431641 PMC 3170124Nichols, Margaret. “Dreger on the Bailey Controversy: Lost in the Drama, Missing the Big Picture” , Archives of Sexual Behavior , 2008, 37 (3), p. 476-480. PMID 18431629Singal, Jesse (December 30, 2015). “Why Some of the Worst Attacks on Social Science Have Come From Liberals” . New York Magazine .