WikiPilipinas (formerly known as Wikipiniana ) is an online , free happy website qui Bills Itself as a combination “non-academic encyclopedia “, web portals , directory and almanac for Philippine -based knowledge. Like Wikipedia , it contains various articles on Philippine-related topics. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Wikipedia has articles on : Unlike Wikipedia. The service for example, promotes the concept of original research and eschews the larger encyclopedia ‘
Conceived in late 2006 by Philippine publishing magnate Gaspar Vibal , WikiPilipinas (as Wikipiniana) officially went live on June 12, 2007 with several thousand Philippine-related articles forked from the English Wikipedia. Its name was officially changed from Wikipiniana to WikiPilipinas a few weeks later on the 7th of July. The service was formally launched at the 28th Manila International Book Fair in late August of the same year.
While it started as a fork of Wikipedia , WikiPilipinas does not fancy Itself an ” academic encyclopedia ” as Stated in icts official policies and guidelines page. The history of culture, sports, and politics. In addition to those mentioned, WikiPilipinas styles itself as a mash-up of several entities; A “Who’s Who” of prominent Filipinos, a directory of institutions and companies, an almanac of the Philippines and a community portal for the different ethnic groups in the Philippines. As an online resource using the wiki model, It bills itself as a collaborative effort -content provider. The Philippine knowledge database “. Like Wikipedia, the contents of WikiPilipinas are open to editing by anyone with access to the Internet . However, editors must register before they are allowed to edit. 
WikiPilipinas is a nonprofit organization that has created the Filipiniana.net, and WikiPilipinas.org (a reference guide on the Philippines). Conjunctively, the Vibal Foundation (per Gaspar Vibal and His Mother) made a historical move in Philippine education , when it also launched on June 12, 2008, the 110th Philippine Declaration of Independence Day, e-turo.org, as leads of these 3 Landmark education tools. Tin Mandigma, editor-in-chief of E-turo.org, is an e-learning portal that teaches students how to read and write. Textbook materials published by Vibal Publishing House, Inc. Amid plans to offer Department of Education -approved content from various learning institutions as supplementary teaching materials. One of the most common complaints of teachers is that the Internet has so much information, most of it can not be adapted to the local classroom. With this project, we hope to help teachers get through the clutter and give them quality information that would be useful for their students. ” 
Differences from Wikipedia
Although it is modeled after Wikipedia, WikiPilipinas differs from it in distinct ways. Founder Gaspar Vibal Describes “improvements” including a directory of web portals based one Those of Yahoo! , Inc., and community portals for Filipino ethnic groups.  WikiPilipinas guidelines explicitly encourage, ” balanced presentation, but not a neutral point of view. “, State that WikiPilipinas, ” does not believe that any view can ever be neutral “. One of the key pillars of Wikipedia is that it is written from a neutral point of view , a major difference in encyclopedia models. WikiPilipinas supports the concept of original research , something Wikipedia forbids. WikiPilipinas encourages users to, ” present their own research and findings on the site ” and expects adequate references from editors for factual information. In addition, the website does not-have the notability concept That Is Reviews another cornerstone of Wikipedia. Articles about practically anything on the site.  Also, WikiPilipinas’ conceptualization is far removed from that of an academic encyclopedia . The site’s policy and guideline page states, ” WikiPilipinas is not an academic encyclopedia. ”   Unlike Wikipedia with its strict conflict of interest policy , WikiPilipinas has no rule preventing one from writing about oneself or one’s family. 
The contents of WikiPilipinas Were Originally aggregated from a selection of around 15,000 Philippine-related articles of Wikipedia. WikiPilipinas volunteers and its editorial team.  All text in WikiPilipinas was originally licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL),  but on March 26, 2011, it migrated to the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License .
WikiPilipinas was originally conceived as Wikipiniana, an open content management system for volunteer members of the Philippine online resource Filipiniana.net . The site initially used the Plone content management system, the production of articles was deemed too slow under the system. In September 2006, planning to shift the system to use the wiki -model Were Conceived (after the founding of Filipiniana.net) icts by New York-based founder Gaspar Vibal and webmaster Richard Grimaldo.  Octogenarian book publisher Esther A. Vibal, founder of Vibal Publishing House, Inc. (VPHI), and mother of Gaspar Vibal learned about online publishing and knowledge sharing. She introduced the concepts through Gaspar’s Filipiniana.net and WikiPilipinas.org, the world’s biggest Philippine encyclopedia available on the Web. 
The actual conceptualization of WikiPilipinas (then-Wikipiniana) occurred in February 2007. In planning, MediaWiki was officially selected to be the site’s platform and it was decided that the site was to be modeled after the Wikipedia . Instead of a full fork of Wikipedia HOWEVER, Wikipiniana Was to be a “hipper” and “freer” version Including almanac lists and directories .  The WikiPilipinas team, headed by Grimaldo as webmaster and Alfred Ursua as its managing editor, drew up an initial masterlist of priority contents for Project Wikipiniana. 
The project officially started on March 15, 2007. It was first made available online three months after on June 12 to coincide with the Independence Day .   A month after going live, the official name of the service was changed from Wikipedia to WikiPilipinas on July 7. WikiPhilippines was the term for the section in English and WikiFilipinas for the section in Spanish . A press-oriented sneak preview of the site was hosted for the local media on August 22 of the same year. The event was attended by major Philippine media outlets such as GMA-7 and RPN-9 , print media like the Manila Bulletin , The Philippine Daily Inquirer , and the Manila Times and dozens of Philippine bloggers.  In a press release on August 23, the site’s publicists asked to be ” the fastest online startup in Philippine history ” due to the site receiving 100,000 visitors during the sleeve of accesses which happened after the site was covered by the media the previous day.  000 visitors during the sleeve of accesses that came after the site was covered by the media the previous day.  000 visitors during the sleeve of accesses that came after the site was covered by the media the previous day. 
WikiPilipinas had its official launch during the 28th Manila International Book Fair in late August 2007. 
The Vibal Publishing House, the Vibal Publishing House. It is a sister project to Filipiniana.net, a Philippine-oriented research portal. 
As a Philippine company, the site’s physical servers are located in Metro Manila in the Philippines. The site was originally hosted on the servers of its sister project, Filipiniana.net. However, VConnect Inc. has upgradedthe site’s hardware. WikiPilipinas is now hosted on an IBM System x 3850 with dual 3 gigahertz Intel Xeon CPUs , 16 gigabytes of RAM and 1.4 terabytes of hard drive space. The site ‘ S Internet connection is provided by IP Converge with a total bandwidth allocation of 10 Mbit / s . 
Impact and public reaction
WikiPilipinas has been the subject of several articles by major broadsheet newspapers in the Philippines.     The service itself has been covered by GMA Network news in segments on the station’s daily news programs.  
Many of the observers on the blogging community and Tambayan Philippines , the Philippine Wikipedia regional newspaper, soapbox-for-a-day, magazine, putative encyclopedia, pluralistic community forum, Rumor rag, fight club It is a pastische of different entities, each of which has been successful on its own, but it remains to be seen whether they will be as successful as smashed together. A unnatural pile-up of knowledge-sharing methodologies taken from Euro-America. In many ways, it is symptomatic and representative of the Philippine condition. ” 
Upon learning of its inception, a few Filipino bloggers questioned the usefulness of WikiPilipinas as a fork of Wikipedia.  In a post-entitled ” Is There Any Point to Wikipiniana? “, A Filipino blogger weighed the pros and cons of having an encyclopedia administered to entirely by Filipinos.  Filipino blogger and Wikipedian Eugene Alvin Villar Questioned the usefulness and purpose of WikiPilipinas in a blog post on July 19, 2007. He argued que la “hip and free encyclopedia” ‘s policy is not Articles Needing to adhere to a neutral spot Of view (as Wikipedia does) was not conducive to an encyclopedia. With WikiPilipinas being marketed as an encyclopedia “by Filipinos, S criticism of WikiPilipinas. In his post, Olanders agreed that the Filipino-based service would be useless and redundant unless it ” came up with its own set of content “.  In a later entry, Olandres pointed out that WikiPilipinas’ lack of a guideline could possibly slant it towards a filipino-centric sense of pseudo-notability. 
Kristine Mandigma, the president of the Philippine literacy advocacy group Read-or-Die Foundation, also made a commentary on WikiPilipinas after attending the service’s August 22 official press launch. She WikiPilipinas Described as “the version online of year omnium gatherum … a motley and captivating assortment of ideas, facts and factoids, emotions, dissertations, and agonized biographies.” 
Vibal Publishing House, a local publishing service that was implicated in a controversial textbook scandal. Both the publishing company and WikiPilipinas are owned by the same person, Gaspar Vibal. In an interview with the Philippine Daily Inquirer , Vibal asserted that the wiki project and the publishing house were independent of each other. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “WikiPilipinas: About” . WikiPilipinas. 2007-08-23 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ Dizon, David (12 June 2008). “RP e-learning portal launched on Independence Day” . Abs-cbnnews.com . Retrieved 11 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ Suarez, Mike (2007-08-27). “Wiki comes to the Philippines – Bringing along ‘copyleft’ IPR model popularized by Wikipedia” . Tech Times Online . Manila Times . Archived from the original on 2007-11-10 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Wong, Chin (2007-09-04). “A wiki for Filipinos” . Digital Life . Manila Standard Today . Retrieved 2007-09-08 .
- Jump up^ “WikiPilipinas Policies and Guidelines” . WikiPilipinas. 2007-08-24 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ Lim, Ronald S. (2007-08-27). “WikiPilipinas stirs Pinoy knowledge revolution” . Youth & Campus . Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on 2007-10-31 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Estopace, Dennis (2007-08-23). “Book trader building Pinoy online encyclopedia” . Headlines . Business Mirror. Archived from the original on November 11, 2007 . Retrieved 2007-08-29 .
Indeed, anybody with access to the Internet, has the time and temerity to write about, say, his or her clan, could contribute article / s to the WikiPilipinas’ reservoir of knowledge.
- Jump up^ www.yehey.com, Wiki comes to the Philippines [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Business lessons from an octogenarian” . Inquirer.net . 26 April 2008 . Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Jump up^ isulong-seoph.aboutmyrecovery.com, WikiPilipinas Profile
- ^ Jump up to:a b Casiraya, Lawrence (2007-08-23). “Wikipilipinas founder aims for ‘long tail’ effect” . Breaking News / Infotech . Inquirer.net . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ “Wikipilipinas founder aims for ‘long tail’ effect” . Technology . Asian Journal. 2007-08-23 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ “WikiPilipinas reaches 100,000 visitor mark in 24 Hours” (Press release). SEO Resources. 2007-08-23. Archived from the original on October 16, 2007 . Retrieved 2007-09-01 .
- Jump up^ “WikiPilipinas Schedule of Activities at the 28th Manila International Book Fair from August 29 to September 2, 2007” . WikiPilipinas. 2007-08-26 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Ong, Edison D. (2007-08-27). “Pinoy online encyclopedia WikiPilipinas aims to break into the top 10 wikis” . Info Tech . Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on 2007-10-16 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ Buensalido, Monique (2007-08-31). “Wikipilipinas: Join the knowledge revolution” . Young Star . Philippine Star. Archived from the original on 2007-09-26 . Retrieved 2007-09-02 .
- Jump up^ Mike Enriquez (newscaster) (August 22, 2007). WikiPilipinas offers online streaming video (television production ( 24 Oras )). Manila, Philippines: GMANews.TV . Retrieved 2007-08-28 .
- Jump up^ Sheryl Yao (reporter), Arnold Clavio (newscaster) (August 23, 2007). First online encyclopedia on RP launched (streaming video) (television production ( Unang Hirit )). Manila, Philippines: GMANews.TV . Retrieved 2007-08-28 .
- Jump up^ Wikipedia talk: Tambayan Philippines
- Jump up^ Calmada, Dong B. (2007-08-27). “Wikipedia: From a Wikipedia subset to one-stop hub on RP” . Activism 102: An online personal track on activism of the new millennium . The Bayanihan Blog Network . Retrieved 2007-08-28 .
- Jump up^ Mossesgeld, Rico (2007-07-17). “Is There Any Point to Wikipiniana?” . The Bayanihan Blog Network. Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ Villar, Eugene Alvin (2007-07-19). “There is Currently No Point to Wikipiniana (aka WikiPilipinas)” . Vaes9 . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ Jusay, Annalyn S. (2007-09-03). “Wikipedia or WikiPilipinas ?: the continuing debate” . Tech News: Blog-O-Rama . Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on 2007-10-21 . Retrieved 2007-09-05 .
- Jump up^ Olandres, Abraham (2007-08-15). “Rainy Day Friday Round-up” . Blogosphere . YugaTech: Philippine Technology News and Reviews . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .
- Jump up^ Olandres, Abe (2007-08-31). “Will WikiPilipinas redefine what is notable?” . Daily Dose . YugaTech: Philippine Technology News and Reviews . Retrieved 2007-09-01 .
- Jump up^ Mandigma, Kristine (2007-08-22). “Wikipilipinas” . Read or Die weblog . read-or-die.org. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28 . Retrieved 2007-08-28 .
- Jump up^ Casiraya, Lawrence (2007-08-26). “Wikipilipinas founder answers credibility issues” . Breaking News / Infotech . Inquirer.net . Retrieved 2007-08-27 .