Magnatune is an American independent record label based in Berkeley, California , founded in spring 2003.  It Originally only sold music for download through icts website, added a goal print- CDs -on-demand service in late 2004 and in October 2007 Amazon.com Amazon.com Sales Rank: # 1,062,804 in Books (See Top 100 in Books) Would you like to update product info or give feedback on images ? In May 2008, Magnatune launched all-you-can-eat membership plans. From March 2010 Magnatune dropped the CD printing service and moved exclusively to all-you-can-eat membership plans.  Magnatune Was the first record label to license music online and as of May 2015 HAD sold over 7,000 licenses in icts twelve years of existence.
Magnatune makes non-exclusive agreements with artists and gives them fifty percent of any proceeds from online sales or licensing.  These types of policies were very unusual for a record label in 2003-2004. Users can stream or download music in MP3 format (no DRM ) without charge before choosing whether to buy or not. (Some MP3s available for free download-have Magnatune advertisements in ’em.)  Buyers used to be ble to purchase individual albums and choose Their Own price, from US $ 5 to $ 18 per album, purpose in March 2010 Magnatune Moved to a subscriptions- Only business model, where buyers have to purchase a monthly subscription (with a three-month minimum) under which they can download as much music as they like from Magnatune.  Customers may download WAV , FLAC , MP3, Ogg Vorbis and AAC encoding formats. Music files sold by Magnatune do not use any form of digital rights management to prevent customers from making copies of music files they have purchased; Magnatune actually encourages buyers to share up to three copies with friends.  Music files sold by Magnatune do not use any form of digital rights management to prevent customers from making copies of music files they have purchased; Magnatune actually encourages buyers to share up to three copies with friends.  Music files sold by Magnatune do not use any form of digital rights management to prevent customers from making copies of music files they have purchased; Magnatune actually encourages buyers to share up to three copies with friends. 
All of the tracks are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License . Magnatune is one of the most widely used and widely acclaimed companies in the world.
John Buckman is founder of Magnatune. In 1994, Buckman and his ex-wife Jan Hanford founded Lyris Technologies. Buckman was CEO and primary programmer of Lyris’ product line: Lyris ListServer, MailShield, and MailEngine. He sold the company in June 2005. In August 2006, he launched the for-profit corporation BookMooch , an online community for the exchange of used books, which in conjunction with his work with Magnatune-associated Buckman with the Free Culture movement . In September 2007, he was elected chairman of the Board of Directors of the Electronic Frontier Foundation  and in February 2010.
Buckman is the co-author of an article in SysAdmin Magazine (later acquired by Dr. Dobbs ) entitled “Which OS is Fastest for High-Performance Network Applications?”  and the author of an article in Linux Journal entitled “Magnatune, an Open Music Experiment.” 
Integration with media players
Magnatune has an XML API that has made integration within media players possible. Amarok (from version 1.4.4, released in October 2006) allows users to preview music from within the application. Rhythmbox 0.9.7 added this functionality in December 2006. A Slim Devices plugin for Logitech Media Server is available.  A plugin for Songbird is also available.  Clementine added support for Magnatune in version 0.4. 
- List of record labels
- Jump up^ “Hear no evil” . The Economist . 15 September 2005 . Retrieved 20 January 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b John Buckman (2010-03-17). “Magnatune blog: New Business Model for Magnatune” . Blogs.magnatune.com . Retrieved 2016-11-13 .
- Jump up^ “License music from” . Magnatune . Retrieved 2016-11-13 .
- Jump up^ “Music Licensing at Magnatune” . Magnatune . Retrieved 2016-11-13 .
- Jump up^ Linux Journal , issue 118. (2004-02-01). “Magnatune, an Open Music Experiment” .
- Jump up^ John Buckman (2011-02-05). “Magnatune blog: Short adverts” . Blog.magnatune.com . Retrieved 2016-11-13 .
- Jump up^ Magnatune. “Give 3 Free Copies to Your Friends” .
- Jump up^ EFF. “Two Leading Technologists Join EFF Board of Directors” .
- Jump up^ EFF. “10 Year Term of EFF Chairman Winds Down with EFF’s 20th Anniversary Tonight” .
- Jump up^ NYTM. “ZPM Espresso and the Rage of the Jilted Crowdfunder” .
- Jump up^ Buckman, John & Rothman, Jeffrey B. (2001). “Which OS is Fastest for High-Performance Network Applications?” ( Scholar search ) . Sys Admin Magazine .
- Jump up^ Buckman, John (2004). “Magnatune, an Open Music Experiment” . Linux Journal .
- Jump up^ “Magnatune for SqueezeCenter download | SourceForge.net”. Magnaslim.sourceforge.net . Retrieved 2016-11-13 .
- Jump up^ “Archived copy” . Archived from the original on 2008-05-03. Retrieved 2008-05-02 .
- Jump up^ “GitHub – clementine-player / Clementine: Clementine Music Player” . Code.google.com . Retrieved 2016-11-13 .