The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction is an English-language article on science fiction , first published in 1979. In October 2011, the third edition was made available for free online. 
The first edition, edited by Peter Nicholls with John Clute ,  was published by Granada in 1979. It was retitled The Science Fiction Encyclopedia when published by Doubleday in the United States. Accompanying its texts and illustrations of authors, book and magazine covers, films and TV stills, and examples of artists’ work.
A second edition, jointly edited by Nicholls and Clute, was published in 1993 by Orbit in the UK and St. Martin’s Press in the US. The second edition contained 1.3 million words, almost twice the 700,000 words of the 1979 edition.  The paperback edition included an addendum . Unlike the first edition, the print versions did not contain illustrations. There was also a CD-ROM version in 1995, styled variously as The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Science Fiction . This book contains a small number of trailers,
The companion volume, published after the second print, is the Encyclopedia of Fantasy edited by John Clute and John Grant .
All print and CD-ROM are currently out of print.
In July 2011, Orion Publishing Group annoncé que la third edition of the Science Fiction Encyclopedia Would Be released online Later That year by SFE Ltd. in association with Victor Gollancz , Orion’s science fiction imprint. The “beta text” of the third edition lancé online is October 2, 2011,  with editors John Clute, David Langford , Peter Nicholls (now Editor Emeritus) and Graham Sleight. The encyclopedia is updated regularly (usually several times a week) by the editorial team and written by themselves and contributed by science fiction academics and experts.  It received the Hugo Award for Best Related Work in 2012.
The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction contains entries under the categories of authors, themes, terminology, science fiction in various countries, movies, filmmakers, television, magazines, fanzines, comics, illustrators, book publishers, original anthologies, awards, and miscellaneous. 
The online edition of The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction was released in October 2011 with 12,230 entries, totaling 3,200,000 words. The editors predicted that it would contain 4,000,000 words upon completion of the first round of updates at the end of 2012; This figure was actually reached in January 2013, and 5,000,000 words in November 2015. 
- Nicholls, Peter (1979). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction: An Illustrated A to Z . St Albans, Herts, UK: Granada Publishing Ltd. p. 672. ISBN 978-0-246-11020-6 . 
- Clute, John; Nicholls, Peter (1993). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . London: Orbit Books. p. Xxxvi + 1370. ISBN 978-1-85723-124-3 . 
- Clute, John; Nicholls, Peter (1995). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . New York: St. Martin’s Press. p. Xxxvi + 1386. ISBN 978-0-312-13486-0 . 
- Clute, John; Nicholls, Peter (1995). The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Science Fiction ( CD-ROM ). Danbury, CT: Grolier Science Fiction. ISBN 978-0-7172-3999-3 . 
- Clute, John; Nicholls, Peter (1999). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . London: Orbit Books. p. Xxxvi + 1396. ISBN 978-1-85723-897-6 . 
- Clute, John; Langford, David; Nicholls, Peter; Sleight, Graham (2011). “The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction” . London: Gollancz . Retrieved 2 April 2014 .
- Jump up^ Mission to Universe by Gordon R Dickson. “SFE: Science Fiction Encyclopedia” . Sf-encyclopedia.com . Retrieved 2012-08-20 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Debnath, Neela. ” The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction ‘makes internet debut ” . The Independent Blogs.
- Jump up^ Fox, Rose (6 July 2011). “Encyclopedia of Science Fiction Goes Digital, Searchable, and Free” . Publisher’s Weekly Blog .
- Jump up^ “SFE Beta Text launches” . The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . 2 October 2011 . Retrieved 2013-04-17 .
- Jump up^ “Notes on Content” . The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . 3 January 2013 . Retrieved 2013-04-17 .
- Jump up^ “Introduction to the Third Edition” . The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . 14 March 2013 . Retrieved 2013-04-17 .
- Jump up^ The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction: An Illustrated A to Z title listing. ISFDB. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database ( ISFDB ). Retrieved 2013-04-17. Select a title to view its linked publication history and general information. Select a particular edition (title) for more data at that level, such as a front cover image or linked contents.