Butter Project or simply Butter is a suite of open source desktop and mobile applications that allow video-streaming over the BitTorrent protocol.  The project was first made public on October 23, 2015.  The aim is to create a completely legal basis which allows other applications to use streaming functionality. 
Butter Project was created as a split of Popcorn Time when the latter met legal difficulties – with Butter Project. The developers have asserted Butter Project will not use any of the popcorntime.io infrastructure.  Butter Project is not intended to be copyright infringement, but aims to build the groundworks for streaming video over BitTorrent.  By Having a legal portion qui remains one GitHub the creators Hope They Can get more developers Involved. 
By default Butterfly, which can be used for video games. 
- Jump up^ “Popcorn Time Shutdown Was The Result Of Outsiders, Suffered DNS Attacks And Tempering, Developers Launch Project Butter” . Yibada . 2015-10-25 . Retrieved 2016-03-13 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Video Streaming Service Popcorn Time Has Shut Down In Place Of Project Butter” . The Inquisitr News . Retrieved 2016-03-13 .
- Jump up^ Mic. “Butter Project Streaming Service and the Latest On Popcorn Time Shutdown” . Mic . Retrieved 2016-03-13 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Williams, Owen. “Popcorn Time creators back away from copyrighted content with ‘Project Butter ‘ ” . The Next Web . Retrieved 2016-03-13 .
- Jump up^ “Makers of Popcorn Time Butter Project – gHacks Tech News” . GHacks Technology News . Retrieved 2016-03-13 .