Patrick James Nielsen Hayden (born January 2, 1959 in Lansing, Michigan ) is an American science fiction editor, fan, fanzine publisher, essayist, reviewer , anthologist , teacher and blogger. He is a World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award winner (with nine nominations for the final award), and is an editor and manager of Science Fiction at Tor Books . He changed his name to “Nielsen Hayden” on his marriage to Teresa Nielsen (now Teresa Nielsen Hayden ) in 1979.
He was first active in science fiction while living in Toronto in the early 1970s. He continued in Seattle , before moving to the New York area in the 1980s to work professionally in publishing. After moving to New York, he worked at Literary Guild as an editorial assistant, then at Chelsea House as an associate editor. He joined Tor Books in the mid-1980s as an assistant and has worked there ever since. He is also a writer, teacher, and musician. He plays guitar and sings on occasion for the New York rock band Whisperado . He currently lives in Brooklyn , New York. 
He has published a number of essays and reviews. He has contributed to a number of books and magazines, including The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (2nd edition, 1993) The Map: Rediscovering Rock and Roll . 
He is one of the regular instructors at Viable Paradise , a science fiction writing workshop Held on Martha’s Vineyard ,  and HAS aussi taught at Both US Clarion Workshops . 
He used to be active on the Usenet groups rec.arts.sf. * in the 1990s. Since July 2000 he wrote a blog on Electrolite until it was embedded into his wife’s blog Making Lightin May 2005, where he now writes along with her Viable Paradise co-teacher, SF writer James D. Macdonald and SF fans Avram Grumer and Abi Sutherland . 
Hugo awards and nominations
- 2013, 2010, and 2007 winner for Hugo Award for Best Editor Long Form , also nominated in this category 2008-2009; Also 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002 nominee for Hugo Award for Best Professional Editor
- 1989 co-nominee for Hugo Award for Best Semiprozine for The New York Review of Science Fiction
- 1986, 1987 nominee for Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer
- 1984 co-nominee, with Teresa Nielsen Hayden, for Hugo Award for Best Fanzine for Izzard 
Fanzine editor, small press publisher and magazine editor
From 1982 to 1987, he edited and published the science fiction fanzine Izzard with his wife Teresa Nielsen Hayden .  He has worked on a number of other fanzines over the years, including Twibbet , Thangorodrim , Tweek , Ecce Fanno , Telos , Zed , and Flash Point . 
Through Their small press, Ansatz Press, Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden published Samuel R. Delany ‘s Wagner / Artaud: A Play of 19th and 20th Century Critical Fictions 
From 1985 to 1989, he served on the editorial board of The Little Magazine , a poetry magazine.  In 1988, he was one of the founding editors of The New York Review of Science Fiction , for which he did the basic design still in use today.  He left the magazine after several issues.
- Alternate Skiffy (Wildside Press, 1997) with Mike Resnick ( ISBN 1-880448-54-8 ) 
- New Skies (Tor, 2003) 
- New Magics: An Anthology of Today’s Fantasy (Tor, 2004) 
- The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy for Teens: First Annual Collection (Tor, 2005) with Jane Yolen 
- Twenty-First Century Science Fiction , with David G. Hartwell (Tor Books, 2013) 
Starlight original science fiction & fantasy anthology series:
- Starlight 1 (Tor, 1996) – won a World Fantasy Award 
- Starlight 2 (Tor, 1998)
- Starlight 3 (Tor, 2001) 
- “Binding” in Aladdin: Master of the Lamp , 1992, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg 
- “Sincerity” in More Whatdunits , 1993, ed. Mike Resnick 
- “Return” in Xanadu , 1993, ed. Jane Yolen (also available online). 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d PNH website
- Jump up^ Viable Paradise Instructors, 2014
- Jump up^ Awards and nominationsat ISFDB
- Jump up^ Patrick Nielsen Haydenat theInternet Speculative Fiction Database
- Jump up^ NIELSEN HAYDEN, Patrick (James) (1959-) ” . Who’s Who in SF Fandom . This entry has a much more detailed list of his fanzine publications.
- Jump up^ Samuel R. Delany (1988). Wagner / Artaud: A Play of 19th and 20th Century Critical Fictions .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Patrick & Teresa Nielsen Hayden: The continuation of fanac by other means”. Locus . 70 (5): 67-69. May 2013. ISSN 0047-4959 . Excerpt including the biographical information at “Patrick & Teresa Nielsen Hayden: The continuation of fanac by other means” . Locus Online . May 23, 2013 . Retrieved 2015-01-20 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h PNH bibliography at ISFDB
- Jump up^ World Fantasy Convention (2010). “Award Winners and Nominees” . Archived from the original on December 1, 2010 . Retrieved February 4, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Patrick Nielsen Hayden” .