Drobe (also referred to as Drobe Launchpad ) was a computing news web site with a focus on the RISC OS operating system . Its archived material is retained online, curated by editor Chris Williams. 
Drobe was founded in 1999 by Peter Price.  In 2001, Peter handed the website over to Chris Williams as editor.  After 10 years , it closed as a news site in 2009. It is retained as an historical archive.     A few weeks after the site’s closure Williams posted on Micro Men , the television drama about the rivalry between Acorn and Sinclair in the 1980s. It may be necessary to make the necessary arrangements. 
At launch, the website has featured news feed , POP email checker and a search facility “Incorporating AcornSearch.com”.  As of 2013 , the site features archived RISC OS articles, news and other media . It also hosts an online emulator for the BBC Micro , using the Java Runtime Environment .
Registered users were able to apply for webspace in order to host their own projects. These subsites continue to be hosted by Drobe .
- The Icon Bar
- ^ Jump up to:a b Williams, Chris (2009-09-20). “Site down” . Drobe . Drobe . Retrieved 2011-05-16 .
On Monday, September 21, drobe.co.uk will turn 10 years old, marking a decade of online and freely available news publishing for the RISC OS and Acorn kit-using platform. And, for many reasons and after much deliberation, it’s time to take a new direction. Drobe’s RISC OS news service, which launched in October 1999, will sadly cease from Monday.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Williams, Chris. “About Drobe” . Drobe . Retrieved 2011-05-16 .
The website was founded in 1999 by Peter Price, who was handed over to the reins to Chris Williams in 2001. Hosting and webmaster work is taken care of by Ian Hawkins.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Internet portal launched” . Acorn User (215). Christmas 1999. p. 10 . Retrieved 16 August 2013 .
- Jump up^ Hoare, John (2009-09-20). “Drobe” closed ” ” . The Icon Bar . One Point Nought . Retrieved 2011-05-16 .
[…] longtime RISC OS news and articles website Drobe has closed … or, rather, entered “archive mode”.
- Jump up^ Camen, Kroc (2009-09-21). “Drobe Closes Its Doors After Ten Years” . OSnews . OSNews . Retrieved 2011-05-16 .
Drobe.co.uk, the first RISC OS news website, today announced that it has entered the news archive.
- Jump up^ Chris Williams (September 21, 2009). “Drobe.co.uk turns 10 years old – and takes a new direction” . Newsgroup : comp.sys.acorn.announce . Usenet: firstname.lastname@example.org . Retrieved May 16, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Williams, Chris (2009-10-09). “Message board” . Drobe . Drobe . Retrieved 2011-05-27 .
RISC OS news, sorry .. RISC OS news, sorry .. RISC OS news, sorry ..