” Life Wasted ” is a song by the American rock band Pearl Jam . Featuring lyrics written by vocalist Eddie Vedder and music written by guitarist Stone Gossard , “Life Wasted” was released on August 28, 2006 as the second single from the band’s eighth studio album, Pearl Jam (2006). The song peaked at number 10 on the BillboardModern Rock Tracks chart. On Pearl Jam , “Life Wasted” is repressed on the album’s tenth track, “Wasted Reprise”.
Origin and recording
“Life Wasted” features lyrics written by vocalist Eddie Vedder and music written by guitarist Stone Gossard . Pearl Jam’s performance on August 4, 2000 in Charlotte , North Carolina at the Blockbuster Pavilion .
The lyrics for “Life Wasted” Were reportedly written about the death of Johnny Ramone and about the feelings one after-HAS driving home from a funeral. In an interview with Rolling Stone , Vedder stated:
When it comes to traveling, you will not be disappointed. You’ve got a renewed appreciation for life. And I think that feeling can last through the day, through the week, aim Then things start getting back to normal and you start living and breathing this Taking and eating Thing For Granted. I think that song is there to remind you, ‘This is that feeling’ …. The truth is-I’m a little sensitive and this is a close, personal relationship. I’ll just say it. Fuck it. Right up front. Half the record is based on the loss of the guy who turned out to be the best friend I ever had on the planet. And that was Johnny Ramone. 
Release and reception
A 7 “single for” Life Wasted “was released Commercially in the UK on August 28, 2006. The B-side is” Come Back “from June 27, 2006 in St. Paul , Minnesota at Xcel Energy Center . The single aussi Was Made available as a download from the UK iTunes Store . The song peaked at number 13 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Trackschart and number ten on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.
Kyle Anderson of Spin Said That “even though Eddie Vedder sings” Leave the fame to someone else “over the best riff Pete Townshend never wrote (on” Life Wasted “), he Actually chuckles just before the last chorus. It’s a small detail, But it’s a sign that Pearl Jam are taking themselves seriously, and it fits them like a snug flannel shirt. ” This is misquoted however, as the line is “leave the pain for someone else” 
A cover of “Life Wasted” is featured in the 2007 video game, Guitar Hero II , for the Xbox 360 . 
The music video for “Life Wasted” was directed by Fernando Apodaca.  The movie explores the song’s themes of death and rebirth.  The video was filmed over 10 months in locations such as Romania , Seattle , Washington , and George, Washington .   The video, which emulates the liner notes from the album, was done without the help of special effects. Apodaca created the physical sculptures for the video. Life casts were made of each of the band members’ heads. Vedder sacrificed his eyelashes for the process.  The busts were brought to life through the use of projection.  During the video, the heads are shown being lit on fire, drenched with water, and uninhabited by worms and bugs. Other sculptures in the video were made from bronze, wax, and leather.  It also features footage of Vedder singing and the band performing the song.
“The ambiguities of consumerism, obsolescence, deterioration, and growth.” In the film it is a fractured world that is both fragile and transitory, as it is wax melting and bread voraciously consumed by ants. Explained, opening doorways to interpretation. ”  The video was released on May 19, 2006 to the public on Google Video under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs licensing copying, distributing and sharing.  Reviews This was the first Most Likely Time That video was produced by a major record company Was released under Such a license.
“Life Wasted” was performed live at the band’s April 20, 2006 concert in London , England at the London Astoria .  The band played this song when they appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman on May 4, 2006 in support of Pearl Jam . Pearl Jam performed the song in 2006 for Sessions @ AOL . Pearl Jam performed the song for its appearance on VH1 Storytellers in 2006. Since 2007, the band has played the song in the key of C major during live performances. On the album and 2006 performances, it was played in Major . The change of key requires the de-tuning of the guitars to a half-step down (E ♭, A ♭, D ♭, G ♭, B ♭, E ♭) and the use of a capo on the 3rd freight (first 5 strings only, open 6th) as opposed to the 4th freight. Live performance of “Life Wasted” can be found there various official bootlegs , the Live at the Gorge 05/06 box set, and the live album Live at Lollapalooza 2007 . A performance of the song is also included in the DVD Immagine in Cornice . can be found there various official bootlegs , the Live at the Gorge 05/06 box set, and the live album Live at Lollapalooza 2007 . A performance of the song is also included in the DVD Immagine in Cornice . can be found there various official bootlegs , the Live at the Gorge 05/06 box set, and the live album Live at Lollapalooza 2007 . A performance of the song is also included in the DVD Immagine in Cornice .
- “Life Wasted” ( Stone Gossard , Eddie Vedder ) – 3:54
- “Come Back” (live) ( Mike McCready , Vedder) – 5:18
- Recorded live on June 27, 2006 at Xcel Energy Center in Saint Paul , Minnesota .
|Polish Singles Chart ||11|
|US Modern Rock Tracks ||10|
|US Mainstream Rock Tracks ||13|
|UK Singles Chart ||110|
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Hiatt, Brian (2006-06-16). “The Second Coming of Pearl Jam” . Rolling Stone . Retrieved 2007-06-22 .
- Jump up^ Anderson, Kyle. “Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam (J Records)”. Spin . May 13, 2006.
- Jump up^ http://www.pearljam.com/song/life-wasted
- Jump up^ Ekberg, Brian. “CES 07: Guitar Hero II Hands-On”. GameSpot. January 8, 2007.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jones, Alex. “Alum awarded at SDFF” ArchivedSeptember 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine .. The Daily Aztec . October 3, 2006.
- Jump up^ “McCready Talks About The Gorge”. Pearljam.com. May 8, 2007.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Ten Club Q & A with Artist Fernando Apodaca” . pearljam.com.
- Jump up^ Steuer, Eric (2006-05-19). “Pearl Jam Releases Its First Music Video In Eight Years Under Creative Commons License” . CreativeCommons.com . Retrieved 2007-07-15 .
- Jump up^ “2006 MTV Video Music Awards” . Rockonthenet . Retrieved 2007-09-05 .
- Jump up^ “Pearl Jam Songs:” Life Wasted “” ArchivedMay 21, 2009, at theWayback Machine..pearljam.com.
- Jump up^ “Polish Singles Chart |” .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Pearl Jam Artist Chart History” . Billboard . Retrieved 2007-04-28 .
- Jump up^ “Chart Log: 1994-2006” . Retrieved 2007-06-11 .